ANOTHER FATAL HERE

To add salt to the wound, I'm sure the drunk has nothing to go after, no house or property. And if he has insurance, I'll bet it's the minimum. So I hope the rider had high uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage!!

Sad, a friend I've known over 40 years has been in intensive care for almost 5 months, already amputated a leg at the hip, same scenario except the driver didn't run.

Sorry for your long time friend who has had his world ruined by another drunk driver.
I hope he recovers as well as possible and the drunk . . . well, I shouldn't say.

Yea I wondered if I should post the gory details, but for educational purposes I thought I would.

My opinion is that the scariest event out on the roadways is seeing a left turning cage in front of stopped and waiting to turn.
I do not take a chance and NEVER assume he sees me just because he is stopped. I slow to a near crawl as I enter the intersection watching his front wheels for any movement.
At the slow speed I go, stopping would take ten feet or less. NO WAY will I give any left turning cage a shot at me.

Last edited:
So sad. What insult to injury just coming home. The same thing with my brother who was 6 years older than me. He had just finished his tour in Vietnam and was fatally injured by an elderly woman who decided to turn left in front of him as he was passing her. Not drunk, just not aware.

This won't do much for people under the influence, but I think part of drivers training should involve what to if you do if you pull out or make a left turn in front of a motorcycle. A problem that I have personally witnessed is people who pull out, then see the motorcycle and stop, blocking the entire lane. I say if you find yourself in that situation, you should finish the turn. That may give the cyclist time to maneuver behind the vehicle. As it is now, nobody knows what to expect from the other. A standardized procedure even if it only worked 1 out of a 100 times would be better than what we have now. My 1/2 cents worth.

Very sorry for the loss of your brother, \\\STRIPES///.
Back in my Ninja days, I nearly bought it doing the same thing.
I was out there going fast in the opposite lave passing a string of 5 or 6 cars on the CA1 coast road. The the lead car had started a left into a driveway and also looked into his side mirror just in time to see me screaming toward him. He was able to came to a stop only a couple feet over the centerline and I was able to swerve left enough to barely graze his left side mirror. That life passing through your brain at the last second was true in my case; but, I was lucky and smiled upon that day. I guess when your time is up. it's up.
Your brother is riding his motor up there on cloud twisties having a ball and waiting for you.
:(

Back