ANOTHER FATAL HERE

muleskinner

Turbocharged
Last week a 27 year old Marine who just got home from Afghanistan last year was killed by a drunk driver while riding his sport bike solo about 10 miles from my home. He was married and the father of a three year old boy. Out of curiosity I went out and looked at the scene.

The road is a two lane East/West rural asphalt surface road. At the time of the accident the road surface was dry and free of debris. The accident occurred during daylight. The lanes are 15 feet wide with dirt shoulders on both sides. At the point of impact there is a dirt side road that crosses the asphalt road at a right angle. The speed limit is 55MPH. The road was straight with no visibility issues. The Marine was traveling West bound on the asphalt road. Speed unknown to me. He was wearing a full face helmet and dressed in jeans and a jacket.

The suspect was traveling East bound in a Ford F350 pickup at an unknown speed. As the bike approached the dirt side road, the driver of the truck, who was later found to be drunk, made a left turn in front of the bike. Due to the drivers intoxication, he fled the scene in his vehicle. The police searched the area and later found the drivers vehicle at his home about 1/2 mile from the scene with damage to the front passenger side of the vehicle.

While I was at the scene a female subject who lives across the road from where the crash occurred came out and spoke with me. She told me she had heard the impact from her home and ran to the scene. Once at the scene she saw the rider laying on the roadway and the truck gone. She pointed to an area of dried blood about two feet in diameter and told me that's where the riders head was when she got to the scene. What was left of his sport bike was resting on the road surface about 10 feet West of his body. She said she believed he was DOA. She pointed to an area about 10 feet from where she found the rider and stated that is where his "Full face helmet" was found!

After speaking with her, I checked out the Orange markings the police had made on the road surface and tried to figure out what had happened. I paced out a total of 70 feet of pending and full skid marks. It appears the rider applied his front and rear brakes, causing the rear tire to go into a pending skid for about 10 feet, at which point the rear tire went into a full skid.

About 20 feet past that point you could see where the front tire went into a pending skid and then quickly went into a full locked skid. Both front and rear tires were in a full locked skid all the way to the point of impact. The bike appeared to have stayed upright and straight all the way to the point of impact with the truck.

Sad. I hope the truck driver gets at least 25 years. Two felonies here. Driving while intoxicated causing fatal injuries and leaving the scene of an injury/fatal accident.

Last edited:
muleskinner,
Pretty nice write up there.
Reads like you have done this before.

Serve your country only to be sprung from the mortal coil by a ***in' drunk!
Makes me wonder, how can there be a god?

T
muleskinner,
Pretty nice write up there.
Reads like you have done this before.

Serve your country only to be sprung from the mortal coil by a ***in' drunk!
Makes me wonder, how can there be a god?

Thanks. I was a cop in a large CA sheriff's department for 28 years, retired for nine years now.

I was trained in basic accident investigation, but as I hated to work crashes and worked most of my career in rural areas where the CHP took the crashes, I never went to advanced accident investigation school. Besides I'm not a "math guy" and you need to have a good knowledge of Trig to make it through the advanced school. Otherwise I could have done the math and figured out how fast the bike was going. I'm guessing about 55 to 65MPH. Just a guess.

T

Thanks. I was a cop in a large CA sheriff's department for 28 years, retired for nine years now.

I was trained in basic accident investigation, but as I hated to work crashes and worked most of my career in rural areas where the CHP took the crashes, I never went to advanced accident investigation school. Besides I'm not a "math guy" and you need to have a good knowledge of Trig to make it through the advanced school. Otherwise I could have done the math and figured out how fast the bike was going. I'm guessing about 55 to 65MPH. Just a guess.

Interesting indeed and I thought so. I also am retired from the job and working as a recon consultant expert since 1975. Reading your post made me grab my handy calculator and start punching numbers. If 70 feet skids on level road, the slide to stop speed is about 40 mph. Depending on impact speed (what was rider throw distance from impact?) a rough idea of the motor's speed can be determined. Using the calculated combined speed and estimated perception response time, position of the motor rider when he saw the dirt bag turn in front of him can be determined. Conservation of Momentum analysis of pre and post impact trajectories would yield more accurate information. Likely this was performed by the Chippers. Naturally, the dirt bag's whole defense will revolve around the motor's speed and the deception involved that caused Mr. dirt bag to incorrectly assess the motor's speed. Sarcasm intended.

Sad for the family to wait a year for their father / husband to return home to them only to be killed by a drunk.

Just had another bike fatality around here somewhere about a week ago. Way to many.

Cool! A traffic guru. The position of the body was almost at the point of impact. The bike wreckage was not that far from the body. Maybe six to eight feet. I think the impact with the truck caused both the rider and bike to stop just past the POI.

Who ever investigated the scene (CHP) did not mark the POI as I'm used to. So as to the exact POI, I'm not sure. There were rebound items marked about five feet back (East) from the body. The bike was water cooled, as the radiator fluid trail from the bike drained South across the East bound lane and was marked.

Last edited:
Sad, a friend I've known over 40 years has been in intensive care for almost 5 months, already amputated a leg at the hip, same scenario except the driver didn't run.

Back