Another Avon Problem

My Avon was on the recall list but I had absolutely no problem with it. Ran about 4000 miles on her at speeds above 160mph. I am kind of glad it did not fail :D
OOf course they replaced it anyway. I also ran the conti race attack on the front and rear the tire stick t the pavement like glue. The drw back was it was a very soft compound so the mileage shortens significally. Especially after the tranny locked up at 80 mph draging a flat spot on her clear down into the steel belts.

I will try one of the Exedra maxes on my spare rim so I can run it on the stocker and the high hp Rocket to see how the power affects it. Since they do not even have a front in the V or Z rated catagory I will try something divverent.

The only problem I had on the metz was a picking something up on the highway that took 4 plugs to stop the leak. I must say though the metz side wall was so thick it allowed me to ride at 35 mph for five miles with no air in the tire, until I reached a service station to plug her and get some air in her. The next day a new rear went on.

Now when I had the blow out on a Avon it sat flat on the rim and I was dead in the water. had to go buy a POS car tire to get her home as the tow bill for 150 miles would have been to much money.

Update on avon sidewall crack

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: Buggers

Dealer called and regretfully says his distributor would not entertain helping with the issue I have due to the date code and mileage! Lets see, made in 2609 , mounted in Sept 10 and now it's my problem.

We'll see if big tire company will listen to a small bike owner. Calling tomorrow.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: Buggers

Dealer called and regretfully says his distributor would not entertain helping with the issue I have due to the date code and mileage! Lets see, made in 2609 , mounted in Sept 10 and now it's my problem.

We'll see if big tire company will listen to a small bike owner. Calling tomorrow.
good luck there:rolleyes:

Well, bottom line is the US rep wants me to absorb all labor costs and wait for a mileage adjustment of maybe $75 on what now is a $349 tire. The crack is probably cosmetic? (crystal ball diagnostic). Wonder why it was squirrelly on the road? Looks like Avon is done in this household! By the way Cooper tire has had a walk out and lost the last union negotiations here in the US. No wonder the attitudes and decline in customer service. I guess back to the darkside or Metz.

A cosmetic crack? I thought that was something a woman had done by a surgeon???

Avon blows again

Well Guys I destroyed my Avon Cobra rear tyre. :eek:Rear Mileage13,384 Kms
Saori and I went for a 100k ride to have dinner out in the country.

I was giving the bike a performance test after the Mods everything went fine we had a nice dinner a glass of wine and watched the Sun Set in Lancelin north of Perth.

It was twighlight as we left and I wanted to ride as far as I could before the Kangaroo's started to group for thier suicide runs across the roads..

I had wound the bike up to 6k in 1st and 2nd and levelled out at 140 (110kph) for a while and as darkness fell dropped the speed 100.

I felt a strange but faint wobble in the steering, first thought was head bearings.. I backed of slowly first then steering got heavy..I dropped 2 gears quickly and stopped as I was sure I was loosing air from the front tyre. I check but front was OK.

Looked at the rear.. Flat to the rim.. out in the middle of nowhere pitch black but we where both still in one piece :)

On closer inspection of the tyre I saw the steel cords and the tread was split open.

So I had to find a truck to transport the bike and ourselves.. $550 for an 80km ride home...ouch!!! Saturday night, after hours call out and trucks return trip..

So my opinion in conclusion is that Avon Cobra rear tyres will not perform at all under upgraded Rocket III high engine powered conditions wether it has recalls or not, I was happy with the Avons but I am sorry to say.. its just not worth the risk..

The result in my case was the power bursts caused the tyre to stress and heat up, this caused the tread to split and the steel cords to break..

We could have been in a reallty bad situation luckily I had acted early as soon as I felt the bikes handling had changed.. a few more seconds and who knows.

(Sat. night I think our guadian angel or maybe it was Kelly (HF) RIP..was looking out for us, so from Saori and me Thank You..)

Fotunately my tyre was coming up for replacement, but I can't fit another Avon because of the bikes power output.

Any tyre recommendations for the high powered Rocket III ???

PS deleted my previous post.

I didn't put this together with my last set of Avons, but I believe I was about to have this same problem. This seems to be a problem that has cropped up recently. The first 2 set of Avons I went through did great and lasted 3 or 4K more miles than the Metz's. But this last set, I thought I ran over something that tore a 1/2 inch gash in my rear tire, but I don't remember hitting anything, and I bet my rear tire was having this problem as well. It appeared that the belts were all twisted in the tear area. My front tire did not have a tear, but there were spots in it that it looked like the tread was twisted, which means belt problems underneath.

Gald you're both OK Dennsell. I had a rear go flat on me when I picked up a dyna bolt; went completely flat in an instant. Bloody scary, so you're lucky you seemed to have a bit of warning. I've had no problem with a couple of Avons but was surprised at how flimsy they are when the tread gets low. It wouldn't take much to rip the guts out of one and I doubt the extra power you have would have been the sole course. There are some extremely powerful Rockets that have run safely on Metz and Avon - Warp's for a start. I do understand your loss of confidence in the Avon after this experience though.

As I've said before, I'm very happy with the Bridgestone Exedra Max I'm running now but I can't comment on whether engine mods make them less safe. Unfortunately there's only 3 bike tyres to choose from - Metz, Avon and B'stone - which is a different profile. If you're up to it you might want to try a car tyre but it's not a direction I'd go.

Back