And another thing (R3GT/R Key Fob)...

Wow. IMG_0912.JPG Key ring is a left over from 2005 to 2010 Bonneville. Rode a Harley for 5 years with same key ring. Pride and joy with the X. High tech has it's dissatisfaction.

I never keep any keys with my bike key, partly because I have a number of bikes so need to keep them separate, but also because it makes no sense at all having a bunch of keys rattling around on the ignition (on bikes that aren’t keyless). This is what I’ve done with the fob for my Tiger 1200. It means I can get it out of a pocket or bag after I’ve put my gloves on 🤦‍♂️ but can also loop it through a belt loop or belt or whatever as a safety measure in case the fob falls out of my pocket or bag. Still struggling to understand how this became such a problem.

0A827E7F-6C2B-4735-973F-4E7956602C22.jpeg

Something else to think about. The transponder in the fob creates a small magnetic field, to which the ignition switch responds. A bunch of keys next to the fob create their own magnetic field which can interfere with the fob field.

Many cars which still have a key have a transponder in the key, and owners manuals will warn you not to hang a bunch of other keys with the ignition key. Would imagine similar warnings would apply to fob-equipped cars.

As a former Toyota dealer, we had a number of callouts from people whose cars "won"t start."

Not a good idea at all to hang more than one or two other keys with your fob.

I always keep my bike keys pretty light but I do like having a pull tag on them bit like my knives

Attachments

• 20220726_195638.jpg
    20220726_195638.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 15
Some nice solutions. However, this fob and the average pocket weren't designed for each other.

Since the crooks already must have solved this problem to steal things, is there anyone who knows how to clone the fob into something about the size of a US half-dollar? I''m an EE, but since I'm not into stealing BMW's I haven't really looked into this question.

Back