amsoil formulation?

I'll stick with Mobil. Ran it in a Bonneville and went well over 100,000 miles. Run it in the Harley 98,000 miles and still going. Run it in the Rocket X 40,000 and still running strong. Plus i can go down to the local auto store and there it is. Do change every 5,000 miles which is silly but creature of habit.;););););););)

I'll stick with Mobil. Ran it in a Bonneville and went well over 100,000 miles. Run it in the Harley 98,000 miles and still going. Run it in the Rocket X 40,000 and still running strong. Plus i can go down to the local auto store and there it is. Do change every 5,000 miles which is silly but creature of habit.;););););););)

I would definitely do the Mobil 1 4T even though it is $25 more for a 6 pack. My problem is they only offer it in a 10-40. All the recommendations are for 10-50 in the beast especially in the warm weather. I am reluctant on that count and I'm sure the topic is up to debate by everyone as well. Triumph use to do 10-40 but switched to 10-50. Maybe Triumph has a backroom deal with Castrol since they are one of the few who offer the 10-50 in the 4T.

I would definitely do the Mobil 1 4T even though it is $25 more for a 6 pack. My problem is they only offer it in a 10-40. All the recommendations are for 10-50 in the beast especially in the warm weather. I am reluctant on that count and I'm sure the topic is up to debate by everyone as well. Triumph use to do 10-40 but switched to 10-50. Maybe Triumph has a backroom deal with Castrol since they are one of the few who offer the 10-50 in the 4T.

Triumph originally recommended Mobile 1 4T, any time a company switches without explanation I’m suspect.

Triumph originally recommended Mobile 1 4T, any time a company switches without explanation I’m suspect.

I knew that once upon a time it was Mobil 1. Maybe they wanted to switch to a 10w-50 oil and Mobile wouldn't offer it so they went with Castrol. Hard to tell..

That is how i discovered Mobil. 05 Bonneville and Triumph recommended Mobil only. Been using it every since . Use it in my wife's truck since day one. Even run Mobil in the Fiat.

Choosing an Oil for Your Motorcycle
There are a few special problem areas for motorcycle oil. Most motorcycles have wet clutches, which means the motor oil runs through the clutch. If the motor oil has too much molybdenum in it, there are fears that the clutch can start slipping. No one I know has ever actually had this happen to them, but the warnings are all over your owners' manual and the oil companies' web pages. On the back of all certified oil cans is a circular stamp with the certification. Avoid oils that say "energy conserving" in the bottom half of the donut. These oils contain friction modifier additives that could cause clutch slipping over time. Essentially all 0w-20, 5w-30 and 10w-30 oils are energy conserving, and should not be used in your motorcycle.

Most motorcycles run the engine oil through the transmission, and the transmission gears are very hard on the oil's VII package. This means that over a couple thousand miles, the oil's viscosity can break down. Standard car oils are only good for typically 1500 miles before they've lost about half of their viscosity. Remember, 10w-40 oils contain a lot of VIIs which tend to shear in your transmission, so I believe 10w-40 oils should be avoided. You can't use 10w-30 because of the friction modifiers. This doesn't leave much. Commercial 15w-40 oils are a good choice, because they have relatively few VIIs which are the more expensive shear-stable sort. Synthetics typically don't contain much of a VII package, so shear is not as big an issue with them.

Some people use their motorcycles only sporadically. This means the oil can all drain completely into the sump, leaving no protective film on the bearings. The first start after a long period of non-use can be particularly hard on an engine. Film strength is very important if you're a sporadic rider.

There are several key advantages to using Synthetic Oils:

Synthetic oils have a higher viscosity index than mineral base oils. Synthetics have better resistance to thinning at high temperatures and thickening at low temperatures. Since synthetics have little or no VIIs, synthetics last longer in service without radical changes in viscosity.

Synthetics have a much higher film strength than petroleum oils, so it takes a lot longer for the oil to drain completely off your bearings and into your sump.

Diester synthetics are polar molecules with solvent properties which dissolve residues and combustion byproducts.

I've always appreciated the testing done by Amsoil.

http://americasoil.biz/files/g2156_A_study_of_Motorcycle_Oils.pdf

Before you role your eyes, scroll down to the summary of the oils tested. This is a scientific study done on the synthetic motorcycle oils available several years ago. Most of these oils work, but some are very good. I look at the viscosity breakdown charts since our engines share their oil with the tranny. Instead of a gut feel, this study will give you some data on oil performance to help you choose your poison.

BTW, I currently use Amsoil 10W40, but have used Mobul 4T, and Shell Rotella T6 oils with no problem. Any motorcycle oil is good if you change it often. If you change oil when Triumph recommends (16,000 kilometers), then buy the good stuff.

Comparison of 40 weight motorcycle specific oils.
upload_2018-6-10_17-33-18.png

Comparison of 50 weight motorcycle specific oils
upload_2018-6-10_17-34-33.png

Back