amsoil formulation?

So far I have only used Castrol Power 1, 10-50, 4T. It specifically says MA-2. If there is something better I would try it, but it all seems to be subjective when it comes to brands and various posts. Smoother shifting would always be nice....although I can't complain.

I think if there was one oil that stood out head an shoulders above all the rest we would all jump on it and use it. I haven't seen that happen yet. I don't believe Mobil 1 has a 10-50 in a 4T. I've only seen a 10-40. As for other brands, I don't know.

As for filters, I have been sticking with Triumph filters. I always wonder if the pressure relief valves are the same in all the other choices.

I think if there was one oil that stood out head an shoulders above all the rest we would all jump on it and use it.

The reason the better oils don’t stand out is that people don’t have them tested, so it’s a “feeling”.

300v and any of the Heavy Duty oils like Delvac aren’t just liked more,they are objectively better oils that don’t need passenger car standards for one reason or another. In the case of HDEOs it’s because they contain too much sulfur and zinc.

The reason the better oils don’t stand out is that people don’t have them tested, so it’s a “feeling”.

300v and any of the Heavy Duty oils like Delvac aren’t just liked more,they are objectively better oils that don’t need passenger car standards for one reason or another. In the case of HDEOs it’s because they contain too much sulfur and zinc.
Like I said I use what the people who ground your carpenter cams and bucket loads of others recommend, oh and one of them is what Nev likes also. As for things like shell rotella I've seen what it does to the high lift cams. Them your waiting on repair im not kicking it totally as i would use it for a cutting oil if I had a bumch to get rid of. Also for starting the burn pile:)

Last edited:
i guess i would say that if the filter was so plugged up that relief valve open the engine would be junk.

I guess if that is the case then why even bother putting a relief valve in a filter in the first place. I guess cold starts when the oil is thicker doesn't come into play either. It makes no sense to have one I guess.

Last edited:
I guess if that is the case then why even bother putting a relief valve in a filter in the first place. I guess cold starts when the oil is thicker doesn't come into play either. It makes no sense to have one I guess.

if u never changed the oil at about 50000 miles it would turn to sludge and plug the filter then the relief valve would open and u would still have oil and oil pressure as opposed to having no oil.
some of the automatic transmissions have these and work in a similar manner
the clutches flake off and plug the filter which would stop the trans from moving but with the relief valve u r able to get where u r going but it also allows unfiltered atf to go thru the trans and causes more parts to fail.

Like I said I use what the people who ground your carpenter cams and bucket loads of others recommend, oh and one of them is what Nev likes also. As for things like shell rotella I've seen what it does to the high lift cams. Them your waiting on repair im not kicking it totally as i would use it for a cutting oil if I had a bumch to get rid of. Also for starting the burn pile:)

Didn’t realize about the mega cycle recommendation until you’d posted it, but 300v is great oil for sure it just has potentially reduced change intervals (doesn’t matter as I change it frequently anyway).

Didn’t realize about the mega cycle recommendation until you’d posted it, but 300v is great oil for sure it just has potentially reduced change intervals (doesn’t matter as I change it frequently anyway).
Yes at the time they had no information negative or positive about the amso oil. I change early also. Mostly about 4k

From what I’ve been able to gather about Amsoil objectively, it’s quality ranges from acceptable to outstanding, but it’s different for each blend they make, which kind of sucks.

It is what Bob recommended though.

Back