Air Suspension for the RIIIT

concours

Too must is just barely enough
Ride
a few bikes
I've searched & read this site, all over.

I still have a couple Q's....

1) what is the eye to eye length of the OEM Touring shock?

2) what is the mounting stud diameter of the OEM Touring shock?

3)Are those two values different than the Roadster variant?

TIA

Air shocks. Most are only an air spring. with usually no damping control. Just be aware that USUALLY they like to be set up on the high pressure side - or they will sag and the ride will be harsher.
The Fournales Air shocks are NOT the same. The damping in them changes with the air-spring pressure. I run these and the damping is firm.

Air shocks. Most are only an air spring. with usually no damping control. Just be aware that USUALLY they like to be set up on the high pressure side - or they will sag and the ride will be harsher.
The Fournales Air shocks are NOT the same. The damping in them changes with the air-spring pressure. I run these and the damping is firm.

I have read about the Fourny. Looks great.
You mention "damping is firm"....
If it's harsh like Bilstein HD's I put on my car & suffered with a punishing ride for a half million miles (lifetime warranty, 3 times) then, I'm not interested. If it's well controlled without the harshness on small imperfections, I'd like to know more.
As for "air springs", I assume you are referring to the things the chopper/bagger use to lay their show bikes on the frame rails? No, I haven't come across any.

I've had air suspended motorcycles for 32 years, the OEM (Kawasaki Concours, Yamaha Royal Star Tour DeLuxe) monoshock with air has been most satisfactory. I'm trying to get back to the fast & easy adjustment for pillion/no pillion I've enjoyed for decades.

I'm considering the Progressive 416, and was hoping to tap into the knowledge of the masses here, for proper fitment.

I've purchased two sets of Ohlins before (other applications). Very familiar with high end suspension kit.

Keep the info coming please...

As for "air springs", I assume you are referring to the things the chopper/bagger use to lay their show bikes on the frame rails?.
Good god no!. Not those.

Other than OEM air shocks the only ones I know of in the proper M/C fitment are those Progressive 416. But be aware they are COIL SPRINGS with air assist/adjust. I am not sure quite how well that works. Air is air and is not steel. Their compression dynamics are simply different. But yes they are an option and I did look at them.

I had some S&W airshocks which were basically a damper (but really not a very good one) with an airbladder wrapped around instead of a spring - these are no longer made. I had them on my Guzzi for years - but they suddenly stopped retaining air properly - the rubber bladder had gone. These are much like the "airshocks" made for cars and trucks - just smaller. I have in the past seen air sprung shocks made by car/truck guys like these for M/C's. But not looked for ages. iirc there is a set for a small Mazda that fit.

Fournales are spendy. They operate differently as the air is inside the reservoir tube - Not very much of it and they operate at highish pressure (17-18 bar on R3's). But they seem far more resilient to how load affects ride height. I would put the damping as firmish - but for example not as firm as my Maxton Fork Cartridges. My missus gets on and they maybe sag 1/4" more.

My experience of air (like you has been over many years) is that what feels often like a damping issue is often actually a deficit of air in the springy bit. When the Fournales are "off" you will know immediately. And when they are off - my experience thus far is that "I should use my reading glasses when checking the pressure" :oops:. I check every year when ambient temps change dramatically - tbh - I would probably be better just leaving them in peace.

I remember the S&W air shocks... I bought the S&W Street Stroker shocks with dual rate springs for my XS1100.

So, the 416 Progs.... I saw somewhere in a thread the GoldWing model is the closest fit? The model 416-1633-GLA ?
Has anyone bolted that on a Touring?

I have a 3/4 ton Ford van, horrible ride, my mechanic suggested Beilstein HD, equally horrible, lol.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

I had a few moments while draining oil on other rigs.

Back