ADAPTIVE LIGHTING, JW SPEAKER

I just installed my JW Speaker adaptive 7" headlight, and for anyone wondering, on the Rocket it does NOT/NOT require the adapter ring sold separately. It is a drop-in replacement.

Two guide Philips screws at 4 and 8 o'clock removed, rim ring gently pulled away from the bucket at the very bottom, then gently lifting to unseat the rim hooked in at the top. Holding the light close, reach behind and disconnect the single three-conductor plug, and move to the workbench.

Push the middle of each of the four spring clips off the back edge of the existing light, and lift out the light and set aside. Remove the four spring clips from the rim, and set aside to reuse later.

Carefully place the rubber ring around the indented edge of the Speaker light, and place the chrome ring from the bike over the top, paying attention to orientation (as far as I could tell there are neither locating marks nor pins). Turn the now combined light/ring assembly -- turn it headlight-down, exposing the back of the light and ring. Replace the four spring clips previously removed roughly evenly spaced. Check to make sure the rubber ring is in place and the light is now secure in the ring, and reverse the disassembly steps.

Holding the light close, reconnect the three blade plug. BTW, the JW Speaker I bought had an extra red wire with a bare end, and I'm led to believe this is a requirement in Europe to do I don't know what, and I just wrapped it around the other three wires and closed with electrical tape.

Thus connected, hook the top of the chrome ring into the recess in the bucket. Hinge down the bottom of the ring, lining up the two tabs with the screw holes, and reinsert the two Philips head guide screws.

This needs about nine minutes if you take it easy.

Done.

Last edited:
Thank you for the information. I purchased one a few weeks ago. (Decided to just buy it and see what I needed to do to make it fit)

I also managed to fit the headlight with no issues. Although the red wire was also redundant on my headlight. Its not law in the UK to have a daytime running light on older vehicles, but it is good practise.

The rocket 3 touring headlight is always on from the minute I turn the ignition on. (Don't know if that is a UK only spec or not) so as per JOESMOE I left the red light taped up and secure out of the way.

The only thing about fitting such a different and interesting looking headlight is that the standard aux lights look old and dated. (Time to fit some new JW Speaker 4" fog lights to match)

I highly recommend the Adaptive headlight, especially if you ride in the dark at all. The light pattern is so much better than a standard h4 bulb when you are riding in a straight line and around the corners the light is amazing. The amount of road visible is so so so much more than with a standard bulb.

I will attaché some pictures in a few weeks time when I get the new fog lights installed to match this amazing headlight unit.

I just installed my JW Speaker adaptive 7" headlight, and for anyone wondering, on the Rocket it does NOT/NOT require the adapter ring sold separately. It is a drop-in replacement.

Two guide Philips screws at 4 and 8 o'clock removed, rim ring gently pulled away from the bucket at the very bottom, then gently lifting to unseat the rim hooked in at the top. Holding the light close, reach behind and disconnect the single three-conductor plug, and move to the workbench.

Push the middle of each of the four spring clips off the back edge of the existing light, and lift out the light and set aside. Remove the four spring clips from the rim, and set aside to reuse later.

Carefully place the rubber ring around the indented edge of the Speaker light, and place the chrome ring from the bike over the top, paying attention to orientation (as far as I could tell there are neither locating marks nor pins). Turn the now combined light/ring assembly -- turn it headlight-down, exposing the back of the light and ring. Replace the four spring clips previously removed roughly evenly spaced. Check to make sure the rubber ring is in place and the light is now secure in the ring, and reverse the disassembly steps.

Holding the light close, reconnect the three blade plug. BTW, the JW Speaker I bought had an extra red wire with a bare end, and I'm led to believe this is a requirement in Europe to do I don't know what, and I just wrapped it around the other three wires and closed with electrical tape.

Thus connected, hook the top of the chrome ring into the recess in the bucket. Hinge down the bottom of the ring, lining up the two tabs with the screw holes, and reinsert the two Philips head guide screws.

This needs about nine minutes if you take it easy.

Done.
Thanks for the info! Thinking of getting it!

Back