3000 plus Hours of development and design time!

Talking about BSTs. They are based in SA and build their wheels here. I have bought three sets from them already. Full price each time - no loyal customer program, points, discount, zip. Proper chip on their shoulders. But they do seem to build the best CF wheels, still.

So, anyway, when I put the deposit down on the Rocket in February 2020, I contacted them and asked if we could do a deal when I get it - I would bring them my wheels on the condition that they would cut me a good discount on the first set. We agreed in principle, although they would not commit to a price. I contacted them again in late September 2020, when I had finally received the Rocket. They were not interested any longer - said COVID-19 had nearly sunk them and that they would not be looking at templating new wheels for at least the next two years.
Very interesting. Development costs money. Jigging costs money. They have their heads screwed on. I was committed. If I hadn’t bought the bike I would have had a rethink.

Very interesting. Development costs money. Jigging costs money. They have their heads screwed on. I was committed. If I hadn’t bought the bike I would have had a rethink.
I reckon most of us are thrilled you bought the bike! Please do not forget; we need a mild stage 1 kit - no low compression pistons and clutch upgrades.

I own a 2013 Victory Hammer S on which I installed a Trask Turbo. It only runs 8 psi on the stock 106 CI motor. I added a Lloydz LSC (now renamed HOH-505) cam to improve low-end torque up to where the turbo takes over. And I installed a smaller engine-side rear-belt pulley, 31 instead of 33 teeth. The bike only makes around 135 rwhp, but it is a right riot and kicks Harley 4sses left, right and centre, 2020 114 CI M8s included.

Some of us want to be just ahead of the pack and not need to sell our daughters to get there. The best part of the turbo, for me, that is, is its crowd-attracting demeanour. A Rocket with a blower! Johannesburg will shut shop for a day!

BTW, the new Rocket engine is 2458 cc, not 2500 cc. That is exactly 150 CI. Like Triumph lifting the middle finger to H-D and S&S, saying, 'Is that perhaps your contact lens, ole chap?'

Regarding the blower, I suggest budgeting for £10,000 (that is GBP) rather than $8,000 (kit, shipping, customs, etc). Richard already implied something along those lines in an earlier post. And that will be for Stage 1. So, add another 50% for Stage 2 and an additional 50% for Stage 3. And that will not be the end of it. I am pretty sure that a larger/thicker-core radiator and/or oil cooler will be on the menu as well, plus plumbing, plus, plus. I do not imagine that I will be happy to shell out that much to whip 4ss and then be forced to have 'sympathy with the engine' when it starts running too hot.

I am not sold on the Carpenter-style drive-in-drive-out solutions either. Been there, done that. No way am I going to put my brand new Rocket motor up for a heart-and-lung transplant. I will rather wait till motors start appearing on eBay and elsewhere, buy one and offer that for major surgery. And I will have my original motor as a ready replacement when I detonate the souped-up one. So, probably $4,000 + $8,000 + start jotting down the list.

Also, keep in mind that the new Rocket engine has gone on a serious diet compared to the previous generation. Everything that could have been made lighter has been made lighter - therefore also weaker and less forgiving. That includes the drive-shaft. More power, less weight and affordable - choose any two.

Patience. At the rate these new Rockets are selling, we will soon see throttle-body/air-cleaner solutions, more radical cams and more exhaust options come to market. Any good combination of that, complete with some already proven Penner-magic, should satisfy most - even the more demanding. Unless, of course, you need to have it all.
Carpenter motors are pretty robust, I haven't managed to blow mine up yet.

Back