3000 plus Hours of development and design time!

Fellows, what's a Carpenter upgrade to 265 hp cost including pulling and shipping your engine? This looks like a bolt on giving you more hp and for the most part still looks stock. No need to castrate your engine in an attempt to put it on steroids.

Fellows, what's a Carpenter upgrade to 265 hp cost including pulling and shipping your engine? This looks like a bolt on giving you more hp and for the most part still looks stock. No need to castrate your engine in an attempt to put it on steroids.
The supercharger is going to be about $8000+- or so installed to get above that HP. The Carpenter appears to be $10,000 for the OLD Rocket for their "drive in drive out" full install. The new one I imagine will be quite a bit more and is not available yet. Carpenter put all kinds of work into that older engine and I imagine the R&D for the new one is just getting underway when they will have an engine kit for this new bike is anyone's guess. But is a lot more work by what I've read than just doing forced air, so it will be a while.

The design time, tooling and jigging and machine time means this is our most expensive kit by some margin. But on saying that when we sell a Hayabusa supercharger kit with 350+ hp then with all the additions to keep it in one piece its just as expensive. I have put the price point is £5950.00 ($8500) for the kit itself. It is a keen price where I will need to sell a reasonable volume to recover my costs let alone make a profit. But it flies the TTS flag. As a Stage 1 with no engine mods power will need limiting to around 225 whp. 225 ft.lb of torque. With cams, forged pistons and the free flowing exhaust I am working on, it will make in excess of 350whp (sounds like fun). With the drive buy wire throttle we can limit power very easily so going at it in stages is pretty easy once you have the kit installed. Bear in mind that this level of performance is way outside Triumphs remit and no doubt we will all find weaknesses and failings over the coming years. Like they say you have to pay to play, I won't be held responsible for breakages!! The great thing is you can stand back at the side of your bike and lose yourself in the engineering, then ride it and smile more at the rush of riding a refined King of the Road.

The design time, tooling and jigging and machine time means this is our most expensive kit by some margin. But on saying that when we sell a Hayabusa supercharger kit with 350+ hp then with all the additions to keep it in one piece its just as expensive. I have put the price point is £5950.00 ($8500) for the kit itself. It is a keen price where I will need to sell a reasonable volume to recover my costs let alone make a profit. But it flies the TTS flag. As a Stage 1 with no engine mods power will need limiting to around 225 whp. 225 ft.lb of torque. With cams, forged pistons and the free flowing exhaust I am working on, it will make in excess of 350whp (sounds like fun). With the drive buy wire throttle we can limit power very easily so going at it in stages is pretty easy once you have the kit installed. Bear in mind that this level of performance is way outside Triumphs remit and no doubt we will all find weaknesses and failings over the coming years. Like they say you have to pay to play, I won't be held responsible for breakages!! The great thing is you can stand back at the side of your bike and lose yourself in the engineering, then ride it and smile more at the rush of riding a refined King of the Road.
Seems fair.

The supercharger is going to be about $8000+- or so installed to get above that HP. The Carpenter appears to be $10,000 for the OLD Rocket for their "drive in drive out" full install. The new one I imagine will be quite a bit more and is not available yet. Carpenter put all kinds of work into that older engine and I imagine the R&D for the new one is just getting underway when they will have an engine kit for this new bike is anyone's guess. But is a lot more work by what I've read than just doing forced air, so it will be a while.
Regarding the blower, I suggest budgeting for £10,000 (that is GBP) rather than $8,000 (kit, shipping, customs, etc). Richard already implied something along those lines in an earlier post. And that will be for Stage 1. So, add another 50% for Stage 2 and an additional 50% for Stage 3. And that will not be the end of it. I am pretty sure that a larger/thicker-core radiator and/or oil cooler will be on the menu as well, plus plumbing, plus, plus. I do not imagine that I will be happy to shell out that much to whip 4ss and then be forced to have 'sympathy with the engine' when it starts running too hot.

I am not sold on the Carpenter-style drive-in-drive-out solutions either. Been there, done that. No way am I going to put my brand new Rocket motor up for a heart-and-lung transplant. I will rather wait till motors start appearing on eBay and elsewhere, buy one and offer that for major surgery. And I will have my original motor as a ready replacement when I detonate the souped-up one. So, probably $4,000 + $8,000 + start jotting down the list.

Also, keep in mind that the new Rocket engine has gone on a serious diet compared to the previous generation. Everything that could have been made lighter has been made lighter - therefore also weaker and less forgiving. That includes the drive-shaft. More power, less weight and affordable - choose any two.

Patience. At the rate these new Rockets are selling, we will soon see throttle-body/air-cleaner solutions, more radical cams and more exhaust options come to market. Any good combination of that, complete with some already proven Penner-magic, should satisfy most - even the more demanding. Unless, of course, you need to have it all.

Regarding the blower, I suggest budgeting for £10,000 (that is GBP) rather than $8,000 (kit, shipping, customs, etc). Richard already implied something along those lines in an earlier post. And that will be for Stage 1. So, add another 50% for Stage 2 and an additional 50% for Stage 3. And that will not be the end of it. I am pretty sure that a larger/thicker-core radiator and/or oil cooler will be on the menu as well, plus plumbing, plus, plus. I do not imagine that I will be happy to shell out that much to whip 4ss and then be forced to have 'sympathy with the engine' when it starts running too hot.

I am not sold on the Carpenter-style drive-in-drive-out solutions either. Been there, done that. No way am I going to put my brand new Rocket motor up for a heart-and-lung transplant. I will rather wait till motors start appearing on eBay and elsewhere, buy one and offer that for major surgery. And I will have my original motor as a ready replacement when I detonate the souped-up one. So, probably $4,000 + $8,000 + start jotting down the list.

Also, keep in mind that the new Rocket engine has gone on a serious diet compared to the previous generation. Everything that could have been made lighter has been made lighter - therefore also weaker and less forgiving. That includes the drive-shaft. More power, less weight and affordable - choose any two.

Patience. At the rate these new Rockets are selling, we will soon see throttle-body/air-cleaner solutions, more radical cams and more exhaust options come to market. Any good combination of that, complete with some already proven Penner-magic, should satisfy most - even the more demanding. Unless, of course, you need to have it all.
All great points. I imagine to do it right blowing this motor is going to be very expensive. If I can get to 200hp/200tq to wheel I would be fine for what I want out of this bike. Intake, can, tune should be able to get there without killing the bank account.

Something being lighter does not necessarily mean weaker. Better materials are at the heart of the engine. The price I have pitched is no more than a lot of conversions, upgrades etc. You can pay out $5000 for a set of BST wheels, or $1800 for an exhaust system. If you want to be different and/or improve what you have its down to your pocket.

Something being lighter does not necessarily mean weaker. Better materials are at the heart of the engine. The price I have pitched is no more than a lot of conversions, upgrades etc. You can pay out $5000 for a set of BST wheels, or $1800 for an exhaust system. If you want to be different and/or improve what you have its down to your pocket.
Talking about BSTs. They are based in SA and build their wheels here. I have bought three sets from them already. Full price each time - no loyal customer program, points, discount, zip. Proper chip on their shoulders. But they do seem to build the best CF wheels, still.

So, anyway, when I put the deposit down on the Rocket in February 2020, I contacted them and asked if we could do a deal when I get it - I would bring them my wheels on the condition that they would cut me a good discount on the first set. We agreed in principle, although they would not commit to a price. I contacted them again in late September 2020, when I had finally received the Rocket. They were not interested any longer - said COVID-19 had nearly sunk them and that they would not be looking at templating new wheels for at least the next two years.

Back