2020 Rocket engine guard heat.

So, I'm about to get carbon fiber heat shields and I just ordered screws to attach it that are made out of PEEK (Polyether-ether-ketone) plastic that has a very low thermal expansion co-efficient and is resistant against heat up to 500f.

The resin that coats most carbon fiber pieces is very heat resistant and has very low thermal expansion and they will be attached with material that is also very low thermal expansion. My hope is that I'm able to touch the shields with bare skin, after a long run, without getting burnt. I'll report back when I get the parts in and test everything out. Total price for the shields (carbonfbr.com) and the PEEK fasteners (mcmaster.com)--I got screws and washers--and shipping is going to run me about $260 USD, which I find to be a great deal in comparison to KR-techno.

It'll probably be a month or more before I get everything in, since the shields are made to order and there's probably a waiting list.
PEEK, like PTFE, will do around 390°F (200°C) before rapidly decreasing in tensile strength - going soft. 500°F (260°C) is pretty high. I use fibre washers under mine's SS heatshields, same as sonnie does, but only to keep them from going bronze, as the headers do. Two at each screw.

PEEK, like PTFE, will do around 390°F (200°C) before rapidly decreasing in tensile strength - going soft. 500°F (260°C) is pretty high. I use fibre washers under mine's SS heatshields, same as sonnie does, but only to keep them from going bronze, as the headers do. Two at each screw.
I'm going by the temp. rating of the manufacture. I'll find out soon enough!

EDIT: On the off chance that they fail, got some Zirconia Ceramic M5x12 screws that are rated for ~2000F. I also have left over silica aerogel insulation that I'm sure I can stamp out some washers to use.

Last edited:
IMG_0946.jpg

Just got my KR CF parts. Hopefully they help with the cooling. I think i will try the fibre washers Estoma talked about.

I've tried the "exhaust wrap" solution, made no difference whatsoever. I guess carbon fiber parts it is
Still waiting on mine. I got all the other hardware ready, but my carbon fiber heat shields won't be here until around August per CarbonFBR's latest e-mail.

Zirconia screws, aerogel and mica washers and carbon fiber heat shields should eliminate any possible extra heat.

I found this Carbon fiber dealer for R3 from England much cheaper than any other location that I have seen. I'll be placing my order soon.

I was just on the same site. Their parts look excellent in the pictures. I'm interested in the rear hugger and front fender mounting brackets and plenum cover.

The right side of the engine gets pretty warm during summer riding season, so to cure 90% of the heat I did the following.
Removed the stainless steel heat shields from all 3 headers and lined the insides with exhaust header wrap using silicone gasket sealer as an adhesive.
I cut the heat shield fabric to 1/8 in. smaller than the exact inside dimensions of the shields so u couldnt see the material ..

It works sooooo well, you can actually touch the shields when the engine is very hot, and its just warm to the touch. Triumph engineering, are u listening!!

Sonnie..
Nice work. I'll have to do this towards summer

Received my carbon exhaust heat guards today from Carbon FBR here in the UK, quite a wait but I think it was worth it. Comes with heat reflecting foil on the inside and heat resistant washers. I have a plenum cover on order but that will not arrive until October :(

Attachments

• Carbon Covers.jpg
    Carbon Covers.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 62
Received my carbon exhaust heat guards today from Carbon FBR here in the UK, quite a wait but I think it was worth it. Comes with heat reflecting foil on the inside and heat resistant washers. I have a plenum cover on order but that will not arrive until October :(
I'm rushing it as fast as I can. The heat shields and plenum covers are going out faster than I can get them in. I should have it faster than advertised but I don't want to make promises I can't keep so keep the the factory ETAs

Back