2020 Rocket engine guard heat.

sonnie

.060 Over
Ride
rocket 3 GT,
The right side of the engine gets pretty warm during summer riding season, so to cure 90% of the heat I did the following.
Removed the stainless steel heat shields from all 3 headers and lined the insides with exhaust header wrap using silicone gasket sealer as an adhesive.
I cut the heat shield fabric to 1/8 in. smaller than the exact inside dimensions of the shields so u couldnt see the material ..

It works sooooo well, you can actually touch the shields when the engine is very hot, and its just warm to the touch. Triumph engineering, are u listening!!

Sonnie..

The right side of the engine gets pretty warm during summer riding season, so to cure 90% of the heat I did the following.
Removed the stainless steel heat shields from all 3 headers and lined the insides with exhaust header wrap using silicone gasket sealer as an adhesive.
I cut the heat shield fabric to 1/8 in. smaller than the exact inside dimensions of the shields so u couldnt see the material ..

It works sooooo well, you can actually touch the shields when the engine is very hot, and its just warm to the touch. Triumph engineering, are u listening!!

Sonnie..
thanks for the tip

What header wrap did you use? Great idea!
Have had it in my garage for so long after wrapping the tube headers on my Corvette to keep the engine bay heat to a minimum, i dont know what brand it was. The
packaging is long gone.

Its a very flexible almost canvas like knit material. Fairly easy to cut with a good pair of sharp scissors.

pictures?
The shielding heat wrap material is hidden on the inside of the stainless shields.. You cant see it when installed. Took all of 20 mins. to cut them out and
attach to the inside of the shields with gasket silicone. Takes about 6 hours to cure before re-attaching to the head pipes. My bike is a 2020 GT
and the shields come off easily.

I burnt my right calf in 2 places (mid pegs) on Friday when the outside air temp was 36degC, the rear guard was the culprit...which gasket sealant did you use, I think some have a higher temp rating than others? Going to adapt to this method once I have the right materials down.

I burnt my right calf in 2 places (mid pegs) on Friday when the outside air temp was 36degC, the rear guard was the culprit...which gasket sealant did you use, I think some have a higher temp rating than others? Going to adapt to this method once I have the right materials down.
I used Permatex 81878 Ultra Copper Max Temp RTV Silicone . Put some on the back of the heat shield, and some on the heat fabric. Put the two together and wait
6-8 hours to cure.. I waited overnight just to be sure. Unbelievable difference in the heat transfer. Keeping the 3 headers from losing heat transfer is also beneficial to the
cat as it will burn off oxides of nitrogen much better and cleaner with hotter exhaust gases.

Back