2020 Rocket engine guard heat.

Its a T25 torx bit required to remove the 3 heat shields from the header. They are threadlocked so if you have not got replacement screws from Triumph, apply some High temp threadlock when reassenbling and tighten to 5Nm.
The star bit bolts come out nicely if the engine is cold... The only shield that was annoying when hot during a ride was the rear one. I keep the forward pegs on the middle setting.
Moving them back one notch helps, but the heat wrap keeps it just warm when riding. Never rode anything but the GT so dont know if its even necessary on the R model.

The star bit bolts come out nicely if the engine is cold... The only shield that was annoying when hot during a ride was the rear one. I keep the forward pegs on the middle setting.
Moving them back one notch helps, but the heat wrap keeps it just warm when riding. Never rode anything but the GT so dont know if its even necessary on the R model.
true, come out easy cold and less risk of burning your little fingers and thumbs than hot... I was pointing out the importance of either using new screws or applying threadlock to the old one upon reassemble, not sure how you thought they were difficult to undo.

It's not necessary to do this on the GT or the R, but if it helps keep the covers cooler, it's a win win... maybe my trouserleg and boot won't melt so easily when brushing accidentally after along hot ride. I have the R and I must say, it's impressive how much cooler the guards were today after a ride. no risk of melting anything.... and no burnt calf either.

true, come out easy cold and less risk of burning your little fingers and thumbs than hot... I was pointing out the importance of either using new screws or applying threadlock to the old one upon reassemble, not sure how you thought they were difficult to undo.

It's not necessary to do this on the GT or the R, but if it helps keep the covers cooler, it's a win win... maybe my trouserleg and boot won't melt so easily when brushing accidentally after along hot ride. I have the R and I must say, it's impressive how much cooler the guards were today after a ride. no risk of melting anything.... and no burnt calf either.
Tried removing them after a ride, and they were pretty tight, and didnt want to strip anything so i waited till cool. What a difference in the heat transfer to
the guards after application..

What a difference in the heat transfer to the guards after application..
I could actually touch and hold my hand there on 2 out of 3 of them, the front one was very hot in comparison for an unknown reason but the middle and rear were cool after 1 hour of riding, no more burnt calf!

@sonnie thanks for the inspiration... kudos to you!

The right side of the engine gets pretty warm during summer riding season, so to cure 90% of the heat I did the following.
Removed the stainless steel heat shields from all 3 headers and lined the insides with exhaust header wrap using silicone gasket sealer as an adhesive.
I cut the heat shield fabric to 1/8 in. smaller than the exact inside dimensions of the shields so u couldnt see the material ..

It works sooooo well, you can actually touch the shields when the engine is very hot, and its just warm to the touch. Triumph engineering, are u listening!!

Sonnie..
I'll try that on my Predator exhaust heat shields when I get a round tuit 😉

I'll try that on my Predator exhaust heat shields when I get a round tuit 😉
here ya go
1596999781812.png

Back