2020 Bert Munro Challenge Feb 5 to 9.

phar2slo

Living Legend
Ride
2006 classic
Rights guys and gals The Burt is on again less than 6 months away.

I am heading down again on the Rocket for the 3rd time.

I'm thinking of getting away From Christchurch on Sunday the 2nd heading down the West Coast.

Tenting at a few towns in the way.

Screenshot_20190707_183402.png

I hope to get a few rides to some of smaller towns around the district.

Anyone in New Zealand keen to meet up on the way or at the event.

Looks like an awesome trip - safe travels and post lots of pics along the way. I understand the South Island is quite breath-taking!

Right Its only a month away now from this event.

Keep meeting people who are going down this event.

Looks like its going to be a great week away.

Also found out the day I'm intending to head home that Queen is playing a concert in Dunedin City so the road will be busy with concert goers. So might give F on the map above a miss and carry on to G. Will lose a few hours riding so will have to make it up on day trips.

Well today is the day before I leave and got too much stuff on the bike as usual.

Weather is going to be 36c tommorow but where I'm going it's going to be pouring down so will change the way I'm going head down the opposite way to the map above and hope that the weather improves.

Well today had to been one of the strangest days riding I have every had.

Not that I've had much only around 80,000kms in 11 years.

Left home at 11.30 ish in 34c heat and almost melted got down the road about 65 kms to a town called Rakaia temp gauge at the garage reading 33c and getting hotter.

So about an hour later I ride into the wind coming from the other direction and it's cool to almost getting cold.

Carry on and can see the rain clouds so stop and put wet weather pants on and carry on.

Stopped at a hardware store and get some of those yellow safety glasses to brighten up my view as by now it was very dull..

Leave Timaru as it just being to rain and it doesn't let up I'm still crusing along at about 108kph when I noticed a police car coming towards me oh well I'm only going 8 over the speed limit what's he going to do!

He flashed the high beam I slowed a bit and carried on.

Stopped for gas in Oamaru as a self service place had a chat to a bloke on HD and put gortex coat leather jacket wasn't cutting it. Ended up riding with him to my turn of point about 65km and the weather got worse with motorhomes all over the place and riding at 80kmp for most of the time was fine me as could hardly see where to go.

Stopped at another garage to check the tire pressure as every time I stopped I could smell hot rubber the front tire felt warm to touch even though the road was wet. Let some air out as it was at 45 psi down to 40. There was a bunch of bikes and every was saying how hot it had been in the morning but turned to rubbish.

The HD rider had also stopped and grab my number as he is heading to the Bert Munro Challenge in Wednesday so will catch up again. I had a pie and coffee for lunch at 4 pm change my gloves for dry pair and off I go.

Only 180km to go to I get to mates winery for tea and a glass or two of the good stuff.

Well it took longer than I thought as only gone 20kms and I was in thick fog for at least 30 minutes could see less than 150 metres.

That cleared and came out super hot again but I just kept riding and then I saw it out In the wild a new Rocket 3 and I'm pretty sure it was the GT in black!

Stopped at a little town checked my lotto ticket and I got a bouns ticket.

Removed rain jacket got my wet gloves back on to try to dry them before getting to mates place.

A nice dinner and a few wines and bedtime. Early start tomorrow as want to make it to somewhere dry before 12.30 to watch the Superbowl will check weather in the morning.
Screenshot_20200202_213245.png
Screenshot_20200202_213300.png

Right it's 6.30 am and just started to rain again.

Have looked at to two different ways I can head and both have rain all the way shortest is abut 2½ hours and the other way a bit by 40 mins longer going near to queenstown but not into it. Too many tourists that don't know how to drive.

Oh well on with the wet weather gear and away I go think it will be the shortest way myself.

Shame about the weather had that me self great on the way to Scotland last year "iss wrapped on the way down joys of biking i suppose and this morning on the way to work great ride home though.Lets hope it improves for the rest of your journey:thumbsup:

Back