2013 R1200RT report

Boog

Traveling Story Teller
Ride
2014 R3T, RAMAIR, Full Viking Dual exhaust
2013 R1200RT.jpg
Brahma is in for his 40K mile checkup and MOD, (Ken is still trying to convert me to BMW) has given me a 2013 R1200RT as a loaner. If you recall, the last bike they loaned me was a 2014 R1200RT; this ’13 model looks like the ’14, but is a very different machine.

For starters, I did not like the comfort level of the ’14 for all day riding and this one is less comfy. My ride from MOD back to work caused my knees to tell me to F-off, and that is just an hour away at freeway speed. I had another 2-hour ride to a job site and fared no better. The bike handles great though and has plenty of pick-up for passing and avoiding witless cagers.

This bike does not have the top trunk like the previous bike but the side cases are the same and can hold my full-face helmet.

Each morning commute since I picked it five days ago has started with temperatures just above freezing. The heated grips have two setting and both are great. The high setting must be for temps 10-15 degrees below freezing as they are too hot for 33F; even at freeway speed.

This used bike has low mileage when I got it, around 1,500 or so. I have added a few hundred more to it. Something is not right with the radio though as I cannot figure out to change the channels; not on FM, AM or Sat. The volume is as good as the ’14 though.

I expect that the OEM battery is still in it as the morning starts are hard and the bike has died after starting on two different starts. The colder it is, the slower the engine turns. After my cold weather start issues with Brahma, I think the battery or cables may be the issue. So, anytime you buy a used bike, always check these things before purchase.

The cruise control is outstanding and reminds me that adding it to Brahma is one of the first things I said I wanted to add to him. I just wished they are not as expensive as they are.

Like the ’14, the sensors tell you the tire pressure and the ambient temperature but I cannot find the trip counter on this fellow, just the total miles. Maybe it’s not meant for us Luddites.

If it has the ability to electronically change suspension firmness, I cannot find that either. I was spoiled by that on the ’14 model.

As for my personal riding position, this bike does not angle me as far forward as the ’14 did thus in that perspective it is easier on my wrists and back. The windscreen moves with a button and worked pretty well in the rain on this morning’s ride. It is a different shape than the ’14 though and makes looking through it more distorted.

On the freeway, I find it rides a little smoother at speed than the ’14 did. Not sure why that would be but it feels better at about 5 MPH faster than its newer sibling does. However, like its sibling, the mirrors are not up to snuff being so low, but at least these do not vibrate so much they are unusable at speed.

One of the things that does not happen too often with me, is having the kick stand collapse. When I went to vote yesterday, I had to park it on a slight downhill slope. When I returned to ride away, I first noticed that frost had covered the seat and windscreen while I was inside. I put the bike in neutral and started it to warm up and as I was fastening my helmet strap, the bike fell on me. It had begun rolling forward, unbeknown to me, causing the kickstand to spring back. Luckily, the R1200 is a light bike, it didn’t knock me down, and I was able to catch it before hitting pavement. Just one of the many joys of riding an unfamiliar bike I guess.

If choosing between the ’14 and this ’13 model, I think I would go with the newer bike. However, like I said last spring, I would not trade the Rocket for either.

Here is the link to my previous review: 2014 R1200RT Report

It was a toss up last year over the BMW or Truimph. After reading up on both bikes the Truimph lacking in gizmos but making up in reliability won. The BMW'S are nice bikes but just seem to have way to many problems. Really glad I went with the ROCKET X. Like your review.

It was a toss up last year over the BMW or Truimph. After reading up on both bikes the Truimph lacking in gizmos but making up in reliability won. The BMW'S are nice bikes but just seem to have way to many problems. Really glad I went with the ROCKET X. Like your review.
YEP my friends have BMWs and they are loaded with gizmos but they are also loaded with problems and are always in the shop for extended time periods waiting for parts so its annoying for me since my riding buds cant come out and have fun

Back