2014 R1200RT Report

I own 1 and I bought an extended warranty and have a 2nd bike should 1 or the other go down. It just seems to me all forums have horrer stories and when I buy a bike I look at the companys way of handling warranty claims and Triumph and BMW are both good examples of co's that back their product. The way I like to ride i'm usually surprised that I get home with bike and/or license intact. Bikes are easy on the eyes most bikes anyhow and finding another rider that puts the ride before the machine is always a treat. I hang around this forum and there's another s1kr forum where like here its about the bike but also about enjoying bikes in general and it don't matter what you ride as long as you're having a good time.
YES all bikes are fun BUT a friend just bought a used BMW and its a mess and he calls me for help he just paid $9000 for this 1974 restored R90S and hes having problems already and its only been a week I told him to call a dealer and get a price to repair the thing I was dealing with those things when they where new and they where shearing flywheels off the crankshafts they would try to trade those things in for the new 900cc Z1Kawasaki so I had to be careful not to get one of those Lemons so I try to warn prospective buyers if I get the chance MY friend with the new BMW 1000 RR has so many problems its a shame

TD:

A question about your Trophy.

I remember reading some tests of the Trophy when it was reintroduced in 2013. One that stuck in my mind was in MCN (US). They made a significant point of stating that there was a "wind tunnel" effect from the space where the forks emerge up through the fairing - and that this was so loud and obstrusive that the stereo became inaudible.

Have you noticed this same effect and, if so, is there anything that can be done to ameliorate it?

Thanks.

I have not experienced that issue. One of the first things that I did to the bike was put a tall Vstream windshield to address some buffeting issues. You can sorta hear the stereo at 70 mph but I don't like to run it that loud anyway. I normally stream music through bluetooth to my Sena headset.

An update on the R1200RT: I still have it as MOD is awaiting parts for my Rocket, darn logistics! In the meantime, I got the chance to ride to work in a pouring rain the other day. I have a rain jacket that work pretty good at keeping the rain outside where it belongs but my chaps are getting somewhat thin and rain like this will usually make it to my pants by the time I get to work. Not this day though. The RT's fairing upfront keeps almost all of the rain off of my legs and the chaps did their job well. I find I am using the cruise control more than i thought I would and the dang XM radio won't stay off. This bike is really pretty darn good.

Back