First Ride Report

Dr.D

Octane Boost
Ride
Indians and the R3 2014 Roadster + TFC
It was cool in the low 40’s so I had to layer a lot and that hurts the feel of the bike for me but I could not, help myself I had to go and I went alone having no brave souls to ride with me. 107 miles

On the first thirty miles I had four lane road with big sweepers. I had to focus on staying under 70 mph. The boundless power going this speed is like holding a race horse back with a constant pulling on the reins. The State Patrol works this road regularly, I know from experience. A couple of times it crept up to 90, oh well.

The second road was more curvy along the lake. This road is comfortable at 50 mph. I passed every car and truck I came to rolling on in third and fourth. The speed builds way to fast. I needed the brakes a lot. The first issue I had with the bike was the front end dive under braking seems a bit much. Anyone feel the same?

The next road has more open areas and I did het the 110 mark, **** that’s a lot of breeze with no windshield. I may try the little flyscreen. No way I’m putting a big plastic window on the front of this.

How fast does this mother go? Will it pull the redline of 6500 rpm, it feels like it should? My Harley’s would not pull redline in top gear, to much wind resistance and not enough horsepower.

The sound is very nice with the TORs pipes. I’m used to the sound of the big V twins and really like the Indians but this wild cat it silky smooth and sexy. Very Bentley- esque.

The seat is very nice and as comfortable as any bike I’ve been on . The seat on the CVO Lmited was a bit better but that is a 40K full dress tourer.

The bars are a bit of a reach and I may turn them down a tad.

The bike handles quite well for having that huge rubber out back but does require a firm counter steer.

The clutch pull is a reach even set on the #4 position. This is a Big Boy bike!

This bike is super cool and brings back the joy you felt as a kid on you first real bike. I can’t wait for better weather to wring this sucker out some more.

Soooooooooo what you are saying is we did not overstate the experience of the Rocket? Top Speed? After I put in my first tune in I took her out. I lost my nerve at 140 mph, but that was on the Touring with the windscreen.

Lets see cold weather+rocket ride=FSS (frozen smile syndrome)

Nice write up.

Last edited:
Good write up DR. D. As you ride the Rocket more you may find your other bikes growing cobwebs. Then growing For Sale signs.

The easy fix for the handle bars is a Rivco Riser kit. They move the bars up and back just enough to help solve that problem. I have them as my stature is small. They are an easy install and no other parts are needed. You only have to reroute some of the cables and hoses. Simple to do.

Now the fix for the fork dive is a little more complicated but easy to do if you know how to turn a wrench. You need to get a set of Progressive front fork springs (or similar) and change out the stock springs. You also need to change the fork oil to 7 weight. The stock fork oil is 5 weight. You will need a special tool Triumph has it for about $40. It is worth buying it to do the job.

My bike is a 2006 standard and has different clutch and brake levers than the Roadster. I too find the Roadster levers unsuited for me too. I don't like them. I do like my levers much better than the Roadster levers. I don't know if they are interchangeable.

Back