2012-No Headlights, tail running light, all fuses good...Now what?

Dan Thurber

rocketmandan
Ride
'13 R3R
Bike runs fine and starts fine.
Installed new LED headlights, worked fine for 20 minutes and quit, no tail light. Brake lights and everything else works, pulled every fuse and checked out ok. Ia there a relay somewhere that I am missing

Let's start with year/model info please ....

Also please clarify - did headlights also quit or just tail light?

If neither headlights nor Running light are on, it pretty much has to be Fuse #8
The same output from that fuse powers the running light and also enables the headlight relay, which is why the headlights are out.

The relay would only account for the headlights, not the tail-light
Can you measure the voltage at both sides of Fuse 8 for me?
Do that with the fuse still in place - connect your meter with black probe on battery negative then touch the positive to the metal tabs on the top of the fuse, on both sides.
That will not only validate the Fuse but also give a data point whether there is voltage at that node, which can help point to whether problem up or down stream from there.

Just another sanity check please - were these LED headlights plug n play into the std H4 connectors, or did you modify the wiring at all to accommodate them?
And what brand/model of lights were they? Do they have a halo ring or anything that was powered to the Running Light Circuit?

Here is the Headlight Power Circuit for the R3R

Roadster_Headlight Circuit.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry for asking about the year & model info incidentally - here on my PC now I see you have it listed in your profile and of course this is in the Roadster forum;
from the phone last night and opening directly from the 'home' menu list, hadn't been immediately aware of those details.

Awww, the Lucas electrical system strikes again. I changed out the lights to LEDs, and all of a sudden, couldn't get the HWY lights to come on (after) about 2 months. The problem is somewhere between the switch and the headlight.

My rear left blinker went out. Bought a replacement bulb (easy right?) oh no; the Lucas electrical system strikes again!!
I'm thinking to rewire my '08 R3T with all HD switches and wiring or Honda---whichever is most cost effective.

I rewired a 1975 Triumph TR-6 car, because I was so pissed off at the Lucas electrical system.

Good luck Chuck.

Back