2007 R3 Classic for sale on local CL ($2800)

Bob R

Living Legend
Ride
2013 R3T
Looks like a nice clean R3 for sale on the local CL. Owner states it has tranny issues so it may be an opportunity for someone to buy at a reasonable price and fix yourself.

This bike has very low miles and is in great overall condition, but needs transmission work that dealership mechanic here says likely will cost close to $3,000. For that reason, I'm asking $3,000 less than the bike's Blue Book value. The transmission problems (up-shifts and down-shifts don't always settle in a gear but rather often put the transmission in a false neutral, resolving only after repeated shifting attempts) are due to a design flaw, and the mechanic says the replacement parts are much better than the originals. I'd have the transmission work done myself, but I haven't been riding the bike much the last year or two, so I've decided just to sell it as-is. This bike has always been stored inside and never ridden hard. It's the "Classic" model, which came with a windshield and bags as standard equipment. The 140-hp Rocket III offers the performance of a sport bike with the riding comfort of a cruiser. Please call (509) 879-7952 for more information.

2007 Triumph Rocket III

Thanks to WildBill for the heads up so it could be posted here.

bob

Sounds like a detent spring to me. I would go for it if I were in the area.

Hate to see any of the 07s with this problem. Same model/year/color as the one I gave my son. It has about 33k on it though as I recall so hopefully he'll never experience any issues. This one even has the original bags and appears to be a real cherry

What a PITA to fix though so he probably won't get anywhere near his asking price, that is unless Bob decides he needs a summer project.

VERY VERY good deal. If it was close to me, I'd have it in a heart beat.
Yep definetly worth it for parts. Maybe even updating or just fixing the motor. Myself I do not think its the detent. Only 10,000 miles on her though. Hmm and I have a fully updated 06 engine on a pallet in the basement. To bad its so far away. Lord I could hide it down at the barn with the 05 for a while or long enough for the wifey to think its one of my other ones :)

My 05 with 63,000 miles has some strange shifting thing going on, but never popping out of gear. Just sometimes have to lift it twice to get it to catch, and shift. I suspect that other spring that's in there has one side broke off. I have a few of them, and detent springs, just ain't interested in tearing the front off, "yet". The old, "if it works, don't fix it" ethic.

My 05 with 63,000 miles has some strange shifting thing going on, but never popping out of gear. Just sometimes have to lift it twice to get it to catch, and shift. I suspect that other spring that's in there has one side broke off. I have a few of them, and detent springs, just ain't interested in tearing the front off, "yet". The old, "if it works, don't fix it" ethic.

So you don't have to do a complete engine tear down to replace the detent spring?

warp9.9, what do you think the issue might be? It's been so long since I used to follow the "upgrade" repairs that I can't recall what the specific issues were. I recall an output shaft bearing problem that required a tear down and a paint can rattle along with some trannie failures. I thought the latter were mostly detent.

Yep definetly worth it for parts. Maybe even updating or just fixing the motor. Myself I do not think its the detent. Only 10,000 miles on her though. Hmm and I have a fully updated 06 engine on a pallet in the basement. To bad its so far away. Lord I could hide it down at the barn with the 05 for a while or long enough for the wifey to think its one of my other ones :)

Warp... PM me. Lets turn this one into the Green Anniversary bike.

Back