2005 Rocket Basic 32K 99% Stock

Look into what Gregger said. Mine did the same thing. Splines wear out on the older bikes. You can up-date with newer bike final drives but you also have to get the newer bike driveshaft to go with it.

Look into what Gregger said. Mine did the same thing. Splines wear out on the older bikes. You can up-date with newer bike final drives but you also have to get the newer bike driveshaft to go with it.
GREAT to know. I will research on how to get to the spindles and grease and change fluid again. Hopefully will last a bit longer. I have owned the bike 2 years and back off of riding very hard in fear of cause a critical failure in the drive.... thank you

I thought I was the only one to have a final drive failure, until I read @bikecrazy 's post here. The seal leaked on mine also. It's rare on these bikes, so I wouldn't worry about it. I'm just unlucky. I also replaced the drive shaft later.

Head all the good advice here and change the final drive fluid regularly (cheap and easy) and grease the splines of the drive shaft with every rear tire change. The first time you check it'll probably be just dust, which is no bueno. You'll want to use a high moly content grease. The procedure is pretty straight forward. It's in the manual and there are lots of posts on the topic on this site. Look for opinions on grease and tricks for lining up the drive shaft with the final drive.

I thought I was the only one to have a final drive failure, until I read @bikecrazy 's post here. The seal leaked on mine also. It's rare on these bikes, so I wouldn't worry about it. I'm just unlucky. I also replaced the drive shaft later.

Head all the good advice here and change the final drive fluid regularly (cheap and easy) and grease the splines of the drive shaft with every rear tire change. The first time you check it'll probably be just dust, which is no bueno. You'll want to use a high moly content grease. The procedure is pretty straight forward. It's in the manual and there are lots of posts on the topic on this site. Look for opinions on grease and tricks for lining up the drive shaft with the final drive.
Awesome advice! I had the tire changed at local dealer (walking distance from me). Triumphs are a very small % of their sales. They charges a ton but I am sure they didnt grease the spindles.
I inquired about replacing the o rings from oil tank and was quoted over a thousand dollars.
I need to replace the back tire anyways, as I bought a size recommend on here and it rubs. So I assume can pull the shaft during that undertaking. Will begin the learning phase for these endeavours soon.

Much appreciated feedback.

Back