2005 Rocket Basic 32K 99% Stock

Woody

Amazed
Ride
2005 Rocket 3
Purchased 2 years ago from original owner with perfect maintenance records. Bought tires, LED bulbs, oil, gear oil and filters since. I ride her moderately hard. Read that we are prone to rear end failures, and now think I feel a slight hesitation when I go full throttle in upper gears. Is there any way to determine if I rear end is beginning to fail? I ask as I want to get new pipes and enhance HP, but dont want to spend that money unless I know the rear end is got good life in it. Thank you. Thought?

Pic of my Rocket

Attachments

• 20220923_222558.jpg
    20220923_222558.jpg
    297.1 KB · Views: 12
Maybe drain the diff oil and send a sample off for analysis.
Thank you for the idea.

The answer to my riddle may just be, "you will know it when it fails and until then it is working fine...."

I assume the idea is looking for presence of excessive metal in the fluid? Wonder who would analyize and what would be a baseline for normal.

I don't remember there being a problem with the final drive on the earlier Rockets. Drain the oil and inspect the magnetic plug. There could be a bit of fine metal filings on the magnet but this is normal and will gradually be reduced with oil changes. The final drive only holds around 4 to 6 ozs (can't remember the exact amt).

There could be a problem with the driveshaft slip coupling/splines that mesh with the final drive splines being worn out due to a lack of lubrication. Most guys pull the final drive every rear tire change to inspect and lube. If the splines are worn out too much, the drive could slip on acceleration. Thus usually requires the replacement of the driveshaft.

I don't remember there being a problem with the final drive on the earlier Rockets. Drain the oil and inspect the magnetic plug. There could be a bit of fine metal filings on the magnet but this is normal and will gradually be reduced with oil changes. The final drive only holds around 4 to 6 ozs (can't remember the exact amt).

There could be a problem with the driveshaft slip coupling/splines that mesh with the final drive splines being worn out due to a lack of lubrication. Most guys pull the final drive every rear tire change to inspect and lube. If the splines are worn out too much, the drive could slip on acceleration. Thus usually requires the replacement of the driveshaft.

Hi Gregger, Thank you very much! That is indeed good news as I didnt know that my Rocket wasnt in the group with problematic Final Drives. Your post has opened the door to spend the bucks on what I have...... [instead of buying a newer Rocket]. I am hooked for life on these bikes. (Just wish it didnt sound like a cross between a sewing machine & an airplane)..... thxs again

It needs to b pulled and splines checked and lubed. It Is only going to slip once and then u will b walking.
HI Turbo, I will review online videos and add this to the list of winter tasks. I also suffer from the oil o-ring leaks and a torque'd off top to an oil drain plug...... which really pissed me off. When I get closer to the work I will post for feedback on non-major upgrades to add. I have found the 05 to be exceptions to some aftermarket items available to other models.
Thanks again

The pinion seal on the Bevel Box (Triumph's name for the final drive) on my 2005 Rocket started leaking at around 20K miles. The Triumph dealer told me the final drive cannot be repaired and must be replaced as a unit. I bought a used one on ebay and so far so good.

The pinion seal on the Bevel Box (Triumph's name for the final drive) on my 2005 Rocket started leaking at around 20K miles. The Triumph dealer told me the final drive cannot be repaired and must be replaced as a unit. I bought a used one on ebay and so far so good.
Thank you for that insight. Much appreciated.

Back