20,000 mile service cost

I just paid just over $900

And that's it David. The price is all over the place and generally by location but also absolutely by what they do. If you look at the service sheet, there is a lot of "check......", and most of that you can do.

I do this on my cars/trucks and bikes. I broke the code on that one many years ago getting a 50K mileage service on my Ford F150. I was looking at the service check list and found stuff that had been done during the multi-point inspection as part of my $29.95 oil change, only this time it was to be $130 or so.

Doing the valve check isn't as critical at 20K miles unless there are ticking sounds or really poor performance of fireballs coming out the exhaust. If she is running well and smooth you can probably extend that to 30K miles. If you have mechanic skills the valve check/adjustment is very doable yourself. There are many threads on here about how to inspect the valve clearance which rarely needs adjusting. And there are also threads on how to make very simple tools to do shim replacements without removing the cams.
Not sure about the ticking noise thing as I understand it they tighten up as the valve seat wears due to the valve repeatedly slamming back in its seat this can lead to a burnt valve or two.
A little top end noise is not a bad thing especially when the motor is cold .
But as far as I can gather as long as you have a good service history they probably won't need adjusting just yet also checking is relatively easy changing the shim is a little more work as the cams are supposed to be removed and I think would probably be best done by a pro who has done some before that your paying this way if things go wrong you have some come back .
if you get it wrong your left with expensive broken bits

I guess I find it odd that one has to remove the cams. On others that I've done I just depressed the bucket and popped the shim out. Just another goofy Triumph thing I guess.

I used these 2 tools to change my shims without removing the cams.

2016-03-24 18.09.40.jpg 2016-03-24 18.10.00.jpg

Not sure about the ticking noise thing as I understand it they tighten up as the valve seat wears due to the valve repeatedly slamming back in its seat this can lead to a burnt valve or two.
A little top end noise is not a bad thing especially when the motor is cold .
But as far as I can gather as long as you have a good service history they probably won't need adjusting just yet also checking is relatively easy changing the shim is a little more work as the cams are supposed to be removed and I think would probably be best done by a pro who has done some before that your paying this way if things go wrong you have some come back .
if you get it wrong your left with expensive broken bits
Just ask Mexican about letting the professionals do it. No thank you I did it myself and have had no problems at all. Not that hard to do. ;););););)

My former Indian riding friend who now wants a Rocket has been doing a lot of research on these beasts and came across a tool someone is marketing for changing Rocket valve shims. It was a couple hundred bucks as I recall.

I sent a note to my Canadian buddy who winters down in Mesa. He's a retired union gas fitter/pipe fitter and about the closest I know to a machinist and very fine mechanic. He and I rode to the Arctic Circle in 2015 with he on his Triumph Tex. When we returned he tore his TEX down to parade rest, forks and all and did a complete tune up. I just sent a note to him if he was able to change the shims without removing the cams and this is his reply:

"Bill and I just back from riding the bikes out to the Mesa Swap meet. We bought some cool stuff and I saw some metal wall signs that I’ll buy closer to my leaving date to put up in the new shop.

The clearance is checked with the cams in place on the TEX and then the cams have to be removed to actually replace the old shims with the new ones (if required after doing the math). I made my own document that allows me to record the present clearance at every valve and calculate the new shim’s thickness. I’ll keep the sheet from check to check. It IS a bit of a pain but that’s life with these bikes and at least I can put the bike at the exact height I want with the lift. I bought a large set of Hot Cam shims in a good divided container last year because Triumph want a STUPID amount of coin for their shims."

So, I'll start looking for that tool my local friend discovered or contact you Red or Rocket Scientist to see where you got yours. Might as well jump right in on this valve adjust.

I was showing some friends the pic of my new to me Touring today at our local Toys for Tots event and decided that this is probably the most beautiful bike I've ever owned in over 50 years of riding. I want to treat her the best I can.

Last edited:
Seems to be a big deal about removing cams. It ain't. Not that hard to do. Very simple job. If I can do it anybody can. Trick is getting back in right. Still not that hard to do. I did it and am not all that. :D:D:D:D:D:D

Indexing and holding the cams in place, even with the nifty tool, is still a pain in the arse. A couple of (I believe) 19mm wrenches, cut off short, will fit the nut like structures forged on to each cam between the lobes. Cheapo's are fine. Makes it a lot easier.

Back