2 new Harleys on the block

1) I agree with the rant on Triumph not having parts. Valve shims for my 07 Bonneville and 2011 Roadster are the same sizes (I presume for the new Rocket too), so probably common to all or nearly all Triumph models, yet try to find some at a dealer in the US. No one keeps them in stock! You'll have better luck buying panniers.

The best strategy for mechanical parts is to call (don't just order online- they don't let you know until afterwards that it's a special order) a reputable shop like Hermy's. If your part is not in stock ask them to do a search of all the dealers in the country to see who does have it. It shows easily on their computer, not a big deal, and they'll rattle off the list for you. Now, start going down the list calling. Just because the computer shows it in stock does not mean they still have it. This works... sometimes (not for shims :banghead:). Next, try eBay for a supplier from the UK. I've had good luck there sometimes and shipping is usually pretty fast.

2) I'm always surprised/amused/puzzled when the Rocket and Harley Davidson are mentioned in the same sentence. Someone who is seriously considering a Rocket would not then settle for a LEAD SLED. Maybe a V-Max or some other performance bike. HD is the most over-hyped-fan-boy merchandise driven brand with nothing to show for it's elitist attitude product out there. Masters of marketing. They sound good, period. Although the Triumph 2.3 and 2.5 are technically cruisers, they are anything but. On my third Rocket now (currently own two), but I would never buy a traditional cruiser, especially HD.

If your two neighbors are typical they'll spend more time polishing their new bikes then riding them. Meguiar's is readily available and not just at the HD shop, so perfect fit! Of course they now have HD stickers on their trucks, T-shirts, and beer huggies to show the world they are exclusive paid members of a huge fan-boy club.

You, on the other hand, my friend, just have a very high performance bike that I do agree is hard to get parts for, readily.

Last edited:
1) I agree with the rant on Triumph not having parts. Valve shims for my 07 Bonneville and 2011 Roadster are the same sizes (I presume for the new Rocket too), so probably common to all or nearly all Triumph models, yet try to find some at a dealer in the US. No one keeps them in stock! You'll have better luck buying panniers.

The best strategy for mechanical parts is to call (don't just order online- they don't let you know until afterwards that it's a special order) a reputable shop like Hermy's. If your part is not in stock ask them to do a search of all the dealers in the country to see who does have it. It shows easily on their computer, not a big deal, and they'll rattle off the list for you. Now, start going down the list calling. Just because the computer shows it in stock does not mean they still have it. This works... sometimes (not for shims :banghead:). Next, try eBay for a supplier from the UK. I've had good luck there sometimes and shipping is usually pretty fast.

2) I'm always surprised/amused/puzzled when the Rocket and Harley Davidson are mentioned in the same sentence. Someone who is seriously considering a Rocket would not then settle for a LEAD SLED. Maybe a V-Max or some other performance bike. HD is the most over-hyped-fan-boy merchandise driven brand with nothing to show for it's elitist attitude product out there. Masters of marketing. They sound good, period. Although the Triumph 2.3 and 2.5 are technically cruisers, they are anything but. On my third Rocket now (currently own two), but I would never buy a traditional cruiser, especially HD.

If your two neighbors are typical they'll spend more time polishing their new bikes then riding them. Meguiar's is readily available and not just at the HD shop, so perfect fit! Of course they now have HD stickers on their trucks, T-shirts, and beer huggies to show the world they are exclusive paid members of a huge fan-boy club.

You, on the other hand, just have a high performance bike that I do agree is hard to get parts for, readily.
Well stated my friend. Except for the polishing thing. I polish the hell out of my Rocket. The HD guys that wear the T-shirts from every dealer city mentioned in the solar system along with the Truck decals and the infant with his/her onesie with HD on it. Those guys are usually weekend warriors and need the "Look at me" attention. You can usually find a Butt load of them at any Oakland Raider game.:p

would this help? if you know what shims you need....he might be willing to verify....plus spares....

:) Thanks- that was some time ago and several different adjustments ago. I now have a pretty good selection, but of course chances are good that I won't have the one I need when it's time again.

Well stated my friend. Except for the polishing thing. I polish the hell out of my Rocket. The HD guys that wear the T-shirts from every dealer city mentioned in the solar system along with the Truck decals and the infant with his/her onesie with HD on it. Those guys are usually weekend warriors and need the "Look at me" attention. You can usually find a Butt load of them at any Oakland Raider game.:p
Hey easy bro, I used to be one of those guys. I did enjoy the ride up the Harley ladder buying all that crap. My bikes were gorgeous and always polished to perfection. Now my Indians are just as nice looking. However you are wrong about weekend warriors with low milage bikes. We did ride mostly on weekends but doing nearly three hundred mile each day. Three day weekend tours or ten days out on big trips.. 13’000 miles a year was our average.

My Rockets are just as clean and maintained to perfection and all this from the beginnings with HD. I have a few branded items in the closet from all three brands but have gone mostly to stuff without the brand logos slathered all over them. It’s just to hard to keep matching all the “outfits” with the bikes and boots.:roll::roll: Can’t be caught cross dressing.;)

I do completely agree with the idea that when selecting a new bike a HD and a Rocket can not be in the mix together. Oh I have been to one Raiders game.:ninja:

I've owned 16 bikes, 3 were HD's, all three were trouble free and fun. I've been in many different motorcycle forums, there is always the big mouth basher, that is why forums have an ignore feature.

Hey easy bro, I used to be one of those guys. I did enjoy the ride up the Harley ladder buying all that crap. My bikes were gorgeous and always polished to perfection. Now my Indians are just as nice looking. However you are wrong about weekend warriors with low milage bikes. We did ride mostly on weekends but doing nearly three hundred mile each day. Three day weekend tours or ten days out on big trips.. 13’000 miles a year was our average.

My Rockets are just as clean and maintained to perfection and all this from the beginnings with HD. I have a few branded items in the closet from all three brands but have gone mostly to stuff without the brand logos slathered all over them. It’s just to hard to keep matching all the “outfits” with the bikes and boots.:roll::roll: Can’t be caught cross dressing.;)

I do completely agree with the idea that when selecting a new bike a HD and a Rocket can not be in the mix together. Oh I have been to one Raiders game.:ninja:
The 3 HD I had were a blast. Slow but a blast. The Street Bob was the most fun. I would have kept it but it was just too small. I still look at HD and if they had more HP and Torque I would give them serious look. Like I said before, I love all motorcycles and would ride them all if given a chance. Raiders suck by the way and the Chiefs will be in the Bowl. Just sayin.;):p

Back