2 new Harleys on the block

I've owned 16 bikes, 3 were HD's, all three were trouble free and fun. I've been in many different motorcycle forums, there is always the big mouth basher, that is why forums have an ignore feature.
And there is always a new guy who's a humble bragger, and his opinion is more important than anyone else. He also feels the need to trash any opinion that's different than his with dumb one line antidotes.

I did not steer them away, I answered questions they had. It may not be a big deal to some, but alot of people want a bike that has dealer support.
The dealer here has layed off the entire crew, no parts or service people.
The sales guys double as parts guys they carry nothing but clothing and oil. Not only that they cant seem to get parts. Im going on 10 weeks waiting on commonly carried parts through Triumph.
In the Netherlands we had a similar situation, the answer of one of the dealers was . Triumph must be exclusive, so a little less dealers is better. Then you don't see them on every street corner. And yes I never see someone else with a rocket

I've owned 16 bikes, 3 were HD's, all three were trouble free and fun. I've been in many different motorcycle forums, there is always the big mouth basher, that is why forums have an ignore feature.

Hah, hah, well, I guess I'm the "big mouth basher." Maybe I can change my handle :). You may have missed the point, but maybe not and you're just offended. Not my intention, but I'd understand why, as a proud HD owner, you'd feel that way.

You've had Harleys and they were "trouble free and fun." So, can I ask you...

1) Trouble free- how many miles did you put on each of those bikes without any trouble? That's relevant.
2) What makes a Harley "fun?" That's a serious question, seriously. Is it superior handling or performance? Comfort? Sound? Or is it just because motorcycles, in general, are inherintly fun?" Wouldn't a big Yamaha cruiser also be "fun" by the same standards?

I have friends that ride Harleys and to each his own, but as a group, in my experience, a whole he11ofa lot of HD riders tend to have a superior attitude and dismiss other brands as somehow inferior, and most buy a bike without even considering what else is out there because, well, everyone else rides that bike and claims it's superior. That's where the attitude comes from, compadre, because for the life of me I can't think of one thing they do better than any other bike to justify the attitude (big mouth bashing) that comes from the people that tend to sit on top of them.

Do I think Triumph or the Rocket specifically is the only legitimate motorcycle? No! It's the one I prefer, but I like motorcycles in general having owned Hondas, Yamahas, and BMWs. It's just that I've just noticed that most other riders of other brands don't have the "this is the only real motorcycle" attitude that the Harley elite hold dear and then plaster the brand name on everything they can think of. Maybe, you could argue BMW.....

So, if I'm making all of this up just call me out on it. You have no idea what I'm talking about?

What makes a 2.3 or 2.5 Rocket "fun?" You should know and there's a lot more to say about that, isn't there?

There's a Rocket event June 12th - 18th in WV. Trailer one of your Harleys over and join us. Bring your Rocket too- you'll have a lot more "fun."

I'll buy you a beer. No hard feelings.

I had a Roadglide.
Very nice bike. Great on the highway.
Their engines are simple to work on and there are a million parts and manufacturers you can choose from.
Not many other brands are "easy" to work on.
Harley has the best paint process in the business. In fact, Mercedes wrote Harley a check to copy their paint process.
Also, Harleys are made with a lot more metal than most other brands. Most other brands everything is plastic.
I like all brands but I can say that for me personally Harley isn't my favorite but to say they have no redeeming qualities is misinformed.

1) Trouble free- how many miles did you put on each of those bikes without any trouble? That's relevant.
2) What makes a Harley "fun?" That's a serious question, seriously. Is it superior handling or performance? Comfort? Sound? Or is it just because motorcycles, in general, are inherintly fun?" Wouldn't a big Yamaha cruiser also be "fun" by the same standards?
You were not the basher, you just stated your opinion.
1 ) 2005 Roadglide, 32,000 trouble free miles in 2 years, including a non-stop 1770 mile run except for gas, took 2 days returning home. 2007 StreetBob, had it 2 years 21,000 trouble free miles, easy to do all maintenance myself, any OEM part I needed was in stock. 2013 Switchback, had her 6 years 36,000 miles not one issue. Wish I still had them all.
2 ) Looks, sound, comfort, V-twin feel, American company, fit and finish always excellent, great dealer and company support. IMHO not bike looks better.

If it was not for the R3's power I'd have purchased this. Gorgeous bike.

Attachments

• breakout-media-carousel-1.jpeg
    breakout-media-carousel-1.jpeg
    97 KB · Views: 13
If it was not for the R3's power I'd have purchased this. Gorgeous bike.
I have to give some credit to HD, as the Breakout was the bike that caught my eye and coaxed me away from sports bikes, what was this cruiser type of bike, why had I not seen this before?. I was very tempted, but close up the bike just didn't cut it, attention to detail was not the best (although the paintwork was nice), rough welding on a steel tube frame and the engine seemed to be from a far distant past (this was 2020 not 1920). Thankfully the new Rocket popped its head up from behind the covers, and unfortunately it was game over for HD.

Back