2 Days and 500 Miles on a new Bonneville T120

Mike is an avid racer. He is about 190 lbs. without his gear. He has spent a lot of time on drag strips and circuit tracks with many different cars and motorcycles. He owns many racing cars and motorcycles including a V Rod Destroyer. (Which he keeps in his living room.) He has dragged his Rocket, Concours, a couple of V Rods, V Max and you name it he has taken it to the drag strip. He knows what he is doing. Remember he is taking these bikes for their first drag race when they are new with just 500 miles on them.
SEE if you can get a time slip Triumph says 97 HP at the crank for the THRUXTON R but I didnt see anything for the Bonny

Mike is an avid racer. He is about 190 lbs. without his gear. He has spent a lot of time on drag strips and circuit tracks with many different cars and motorcycles. He owns many racing cars and motorcycles including a V Rod Destroyer. (Which he keeps in his living room.) He has dragged his Rocket, Concours, a couple of V Rods, V Max and you name it he has taken it to the drag strip. He knows what he is doing. Remember he is taking these bikes for their first drag race when they are new with just 500 miles on them.
LOOKS like the BONNY only makes 67 HP not 97 like the THRUXTON so thats why the times and speeds are slow

Last edited:
I had a chance to ride a new Thruxton today. It was a regular Thruxton not an R. I'm told both versions use the same engine performance. I put about 30 miles on it from some nice twisties to 80 mph highway speed limit. I can say the additional power and the lower gearing does make it a little sportier.

I did some research and found the tune between the T120 and the Thruxton shows about 11 pound feet more torque for the Thruxton. The data from Triumph said the torque for the T120 is rated at 77 lb ft and the Thruxton is rated at 88 lb ft.

The gearing is a good bit lower on the Truxton. I like first gear better on the Thruxton as compared to the T120. However with the overall lower gearing on the Thruxton, 6th gear cruising speeds are lower compared to the same rpm on the T120. Example 4000 rpm on the Thruxton yields 75 mph. 4000 rpm on the T120 yields 87 mph. To reach 87 mph on the Thruxton I had to increase rpm to about 4800.

The Thruxton seams to be a nice bike. I was surprised by the stock bar end round mirrors that actually worked well. It was easy to see the traffic behind me at all speeds. I am not a fan of the low bars riding position, but at highway speeds ( plus some extra throttle a few time) I was comfortable. Slow speeds like 35 mph put my weight was on my wrists and arms.

I had a chance to ride a new Thruxton today. It was a regular Thruxton not an R. I'm told both versions use the same engine performance. I put about 30 miles on it from some nice twisties to 80 mph highway speed limit. I can say the additional power and the lower gearing does make it a little sportier.

I did some research and found the tune between the T120 and the Thruxton shows about 11 pound feet more torque for the Thruxton. The data from Triumph said the torque for the T120 is rated at 77 lb ft and the Thruxton is rated at 88 lb ft.

The gearing is a good bit lower on the Truxton. I like first gear better on the Thruxton as compared to the T120. However with the overall lower gearing on the Thruxton, 6th gear cruising speeds are lower compared to the same rpm on the T120. Example 4000 rpm on the Thruxton yields 75 mph. 4000 rpm on the T120 yields 87 mph. To reach 87 mph on the Thruxton I had to increase rpm to about 4800.

The Thruxton seams to be a nice bike. I was surprised by the stock bar end round mirrors that actually worked well. It was easy to see the traffic behind me at all speeds. I am not a fan of the low bars riding position, but at highway speeds ( plus some extra throttle a few time) I was comfortable. Slow speeds like 35 mph put my weight was on my wrists and arms.
GOOD test sounds like the new twins are a hit and should sell well

So? being triumph I wonder if the tune is the only difference concerning performance and can the performance cams for the thrux fit the t120? Time to do a little lookin' around.

Back