1st Gear alright 2nd Gear sometimes...

Oakilydoakily

Standard Bore
I am writing this post hoping if anyone has had the same issue I am experiencing and may have a helpful suggestion. I absolutely love my 2006 Tribal. 30k later I am having issue with going from 1st to second. If I get a little too heavy on the accelerator quiet often but not always she wont engage without a clattering of gears. (It really bugs me taking off at lights.) And sometimes on relatively low speed as well. Sometimes no problem at all. Intermittent!

I have been to both local Triumph dealers and they can't find what I am on about. After paying to have my linkages adjusted and new super dooper oil added, it still does it! I even have doubted myself for a little while and I was told I am looking to fault it, but now it really has come to bug me and it spoils my ride.

One Bike mechanic (who isn't a Triumph one) suggested there has been a recall on these and the dealers are avoiding the issue. Hmmm not sure about that, due to I can't find anything like that on the net.

Because I am out of warranty it sounds expensive if I want somebody to pull it apart to see whats going on for something I am told "I'm looking to fault". Any suggestions? :(

clutch?

Could be that your clutch is dragging. Did the shop check the clutch actuating mechanism? Free play at the lever should be about 3-5mm I think, but maybe something's gone bad with the linkage from cable to the clutch. If the bike is left a long while between rides it could be that the clutch plates stick for a while - but they should free up with use. And using the proper oil (not sure what grade supa dupa is!) that should help - Mobil 1 is what Triumph recommend.

drphillgood said:
clutch play at the lever should be as little as possible 2mm should be about right ,to little and you will get clutch slip but more importantly to much (and it is,nt alot) and changing gear especially between 1st and 2nd will result in a lot of gearbox noise .Hopefully buy adjusting yourself, this will eliminate the problem.I sincerely hope its not a gear box gremlin. :?

drphillgood is right 1 to 2 mm freeplay at the clutch lever is standard.
Not enough freeplay and your lifter shaft will look like the one on the Right

after a while of not enough freeplay your lifter shaft will look like the one below. This can also happen when the clutch is in overpull condition! Especially if you have a lock up clutch and she is not adjusted right.

to much rotation of the lifter shaft can result in this picture supplied by TY

others by one who's name shall not be mentioned :twisted:

you can have the proper endplay and to much rotation IMO this can be change by adjusting the length of the clutch cable sheeth. I worked this out to stop the overpulling on my Lock up clutch which has shorter head/pressureplate movement.

Too much and it will be hard to shift, Can you bang the gear without the clutch say at about 2500 to 4000 rpms? Mine shifts smoothly without the clutch lever even better a 5K comming down is a little trickier but works.

If you can't shift from first to second without the clutch I would be thinking the clutch is not your problem.

My bike is at the dealer now getting the upgrade kit which fixes popping out of 2nd, not going into 2nd or getting stuck in neutral during upshift under full throttle acceleration.

Tell your dealer you want them to install this kit:
part # t1000008 black engine
part # t1000009 silver engine.

The vin range covered is up to 337294, so check your vin first.

..I was told by a service manager that one of the criteria Triumph uses to see if an upgrade kit is warranted or not is....'the bike jumping out of second gear'.....for what it's worth..

Triple trouble - I was refering to a Recall on the net about this issue...I would appreciate it if you could point me to it if this is what you mean.

Geez I will make enquiries to Triumph about this issue but I wanted to have the feedback you guys are giving me so I can go there better informed.

Clutch - I don't think thats a problem due to it being adjusted by the mechanic at Triumph. Well I have a some faith in there ability.

Interesting to note that I am not the only one - thank you for your feedback.

Here's a previous post RiderRocketMan posted about this transmission. Pretty good set of photos and listing of all the parts in the upgrade kit on the third link.

Tell your dealer it's jumping out of 2nd around 4500-5000 RPM...that's what mine started doing, requiring the kit.

Oakilydoakily said:
Triple trouble - I was refering to a Recall on the net about this issue...I would appreciate it if you could point me to it if this is what you mean.

Geez I will make enquiries to Triumph about this issue but I wanted to have the feedback you guys are giving me so I can go there better informed.

Clutch - I don't think thats a problem due to it being adjusted by the mechanic at Triumph. Well I have a some faith in there ability.

Interesting to note that I am not the only one - thank you for your feedback.

Triumph won't own up to this being a problem so there will be no recall notice. When I approached my dealer about it last autumn they called Triumph and were told they had not heard of anyone else with similar problems. When I gave the gearbox upgrade kit part number to my dealer they changed their tune and even though my bike was 4 1/2 yrs old they came good for the work.

Back