desmo666

.020 Over
Hi, I wonder if one of you guys could help, my rocket is due for the 10k service, its got all triumph stuff on including tors and cat bypass piework, its running the 20056 tune and the main fault apart from the occasional backfires is the snatchiness at low revs/speeds. Now according to the book during the service they balance the throttle bodies, do you think this might improve this ?Also at the time the tune I think was correct but now people are preferring some tunes over others, could someone advise on the one to go for (planing to get a tuneboy in time ).
All help would be greatfully appreciated as we are off to a rally in Italy in a couple of weeks on it .
cheers
desmo

I don't think a different tune would solve this but an adjustment of your throttle cables probably has a good chance of resolving it. Balancing the throttle bodies could help but I think it would be noticeable at other rpm ranges also.

According to Triumph you should be running the 20054 tune. However 20050 is the least restrictive tune if you look at how much the secondaries are open and closed. The secondaries limit power in all 5 gears in the 20054 and 20056 tune. In the 20050 tune they limit in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears and are fully open in 4th and 5th. However, I would probably run whatever the dealer recommends since they are the ones that would be doing any warranty work on the bike. And since you are planning on getting a Tuneboy anyway, you could justify leaving it and seeing if the throttle issues are resolved after the 10,000 mile service. Hope this helps.

Cheers pig9r
yeah, thats what I was thinking,Tried cables myself but I`ve listened to a few who have noticed a difference after the throttle bodies were balanced. To be honest the PDI and first service were worthless and I ended up doing most of the work again myself so I`m trying a different place this time, it might just make the difference.
Think I might revert back to the 20050!!!!

On my own it does not cause too much of a problem but when I have my daughter on the back and I`m trying to be ultra smooth it is harder to do than it should be. I know the tune is the one for when the cat is removed but still using the same collector but when i used the correct tune it backfire far more than with this tune and basically ran like a bag of ****e. The reference for the tunes i have is as follows

20050 tune= full power with catalyst in box ( Calif ) stock muffler
20055 tune = full power without catalyst in box ( stock muffler )
20051 French= verision
20052 = German version
20053 = after market muffler( or TOR silencer) with catalyst in box (Calif)
20056=aftermarket muffler( or TOR silencer ) without catalyst in box
20054= aftermarket muffler(or TOR silencer ) with cat box removed ( bypass pipe )

To add to this, I`m a fully qualified automotive technician, been in the trade for 25 years and worked with and around bikes for as long including working at the TT for several years for teams running solo`s and F2 sidecars.
I know the bike fueling is a problem exacerbated by the size of the pistons and lack of revs in the situation I`m explaining, but I`m a perfectionist and will endeavour to get it right. Maybe the tuneboy is the answer... but as it has got to be serviced to keep the warrenty up, I`m hoping for a compromise before my trip.
ciao and thanks for the help
desmo

Desmo666, you might want to go to the Tuneboy website and download and install the latest version of TuneEdit on your computer. You can also download the stock tunes, all for no cost. The cable and the software key is what he charges for. You can look at the different maps and compare the difference especially in the secondaries map. Might give you an idea of what would be the best.

Right now for the average consumer the PCIII is the only thing that is 'refined.' Once there are some more dyno derived tunes out there for Tuneboy many more will convert. With your knowledge and background it might be what you are looking for. I have Maddog pipes and a modified air intake and I am running a version of the 20050 tune. I am living with the popping on decel for the time being.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Back