Jimbo Baggins

Standard Bore
Ride
various Triumphs
Hello everyone, first post and a difficult one. It started with dash engine management lights flicking on and off when the ignition key was switched on. I thought this maybe a battery issue as the battery would go dead fairly fast when sitting in winter. Changed the battery all good, no flashing engine management lights.

Then the throttle started sticking at 2000rpm. Checked the stepper and TPS and adjusted with tune ecu. This worked for awhile, maybe 80KM then it started again after a short stop. When turning on the ignition now, the fuel pump cycles, dash illumination lights come on, but no engine management lights, no odometer and speedo or tachometer do not cycle.

That is until you hit the start button. Once the engine actually fires and starts, then everything on the dash cycles like ignition switch on. So I figure this may cause some issues with the steeper motor and ECU, most likely high Idle at any rate.

The actual speedo dropped out on the last ride also. So the only fault code is an open circuit on the sensor. I have since removed the sensor and cleaned it only to find the connector for the sensor had come undone, wire clip is missing.

I have swapped out the Fuel pump relay, starter relay, engine management relay and headlight relay. No change, I have checked and cleaned all connections, no change. I have plugged in another steeper motor to test that circuit, no change.

Sometimes on turning the key on, the management lights quickly go on and off but needles don't move. So my question, has anyone had anything like this? The ignition has been replaced before, as I noticed the security bolts are now std allen head bolts. Rather expensive item to purchase with a 8-6 week back order to Australia to find its not the ignition.

Cheers Jim Australia.

Just been reading the forum, appears to be speedo related, bugger.

The 1st series 2004-2009 dual headlight pre-ABS Rocket IIIs have two dial patterns (besides Kmh/ Mph country differences) but these speedos are all replaceable with aftermarket units from Dakota etc. đź‘Ť

There is a brand new old stock one for sale with Hinckley Triumph on Oz eBay, a Qld aftermarket for Au$750 or best offer. The early dial pattern up to 2006 have not been available from Triumph for quite a while. It will not match your 2007 tacho dial but so what.

1625118633857.png

The later dual headlight ABS versions require Triumph Factory digital speedos matching their ABS ECUsđź‘Ž. At least 2 Aussie versions since first ABS Roadster in 2010-2013, then a revised ECU speedo 2013-2016 then another minor ECU change but the 2nd ABS speedos still work with them too.

Be similar with pre and post ABS single headlight Rocket III Tourings tank mounted speedos, but they seem to only rarely fail.

Anyway I have some used R3Touring tank mounted and some New Old Stock dual headlight factory Triumph ABS speedos in the shed but will not fit your 2007 unless you take my spare 2016 ECU as well ;)

Last edited:
The 1st series 2004-2009 dual headlight pre-ABS Rocket IIIs have two dial patterns (besides Kmh/ Mph country differences) but these speedos are all replaceable with aftermarket units from Dakota etc. đź‘Ť

There is a brand new old stock one for sale with Hinckley Triumph on Oz eBay, a Qld aftermarket for Au$750 or best offer. The early dial pattern up to 2006 have not been available from Triumph for quite a while. It will not match your 2007 tacho dial but so what.

1625118633857.png

The later dual headlight ABS versions require Triumph Factory digital speedos matching their ABS ECUsđź‘Ž. At least 2 Aussie versions since first ABS Roadster in 2010-2013, then a revised ECU speedo 2013-2016 then another minor ECU change but the 2nd ABS speedos still work with them too.

Be similar with pre and post ABS single headlight Rocket III Tourings tank mounted speedos, but they seem to only rarely fail.

Anyway I have some used R3Touring tank mounted and some New Old Stock dual headlight factory Triumph ABS speedos in the shed but will not fit your 2007 unless you take my spare 2016 ECU as wel

1625118633857.png

Anyway I have some used R3Touring tank mounted and some New Old Stock dual headlight factory Triumph ABS speedos in the shed but will not fit your 2007 unless you take my spare 2016 ECU as well ;)
Cheers onto it.

Back