'05 Rockets, no catalytic convertor?

Tropic traveler

.020 Over
Did a search last night but never came up with a suitable answer.
I have ridden a bone stock '07 Rocket Tourer and an '05 with non-stock exhaust. the '07 generated a LOT of heat coming from the cat and the '05 had none of the heat at all. I read one post in the archives that said the '05s have an empty cat box and '06 and later have full catalytic convertors.
What's the real answer? If need be one of the first things I'll do {when I get my '05} is put a cat bypass on. Obviously if it has none I won't bother unless there is some other reason to do so.

the 05's are empty, but still heavy, so yeah it could benifit from a swap.

I would not rush into any exhaust changes right now, I'd wait and see what Travel Guys new system ends up being... may be worth the wait.

well I think you should always ride the bike stock for a while also...

put a few miles on it before you start changing things, so you know what if feels like so you can tell the difference as you make changes....

Tropic traveler said:
Did a search last night but never came up with a suitable answer.
I have ridden a bone stock '07 Rocket Tourer and an '05 with non-stock exhaust. the '07 generated a LOT of heat coming from the cat and the '05 had none of the heat at all. I read one post in the archives that said the '05s have an empty cat box and '06 and later have full catalytic convertors.
What's the real answer? If need be one of the first things I'll do {when I get my '05} is put a cat bypass on. Obviously if it has none I won't bother unless there is some other reason to do so.

You are correct. But, some folks with '05's also complain of heat issues. It is actually more of a tune condition, with lean idle through part throttle. The cat just gets heat soaked...

Back