Won't shift down to 1st when rolling.

Wouldn't give it a second thought. I'm far from an expert rider. There are plenty of guys on the forum who can ride circles around me. It was a couple years before I realized despite riding somewhat aggressively, I really had no idea what I was doing compared to racers and good sportbike riders. Thus began a whole new era of study and practice.

I don’t usually go to 1st at any meaningful speed either. On the occasions you need to, you really need to get a good blip in as the ratios are a good bit apart so you need to bring the rpm up quite a bit.

Thank you both for the tip and lessons, I guess my problem was user error. I'm definitely going to start practicing the right way.

My ignorance got me again, and I feel like a total idiot. I got the rocket after riding a Yamaha Vstar 950 for 10 months, so I'm still new in the sense. My down shifting technique wasn't correct at all. All I can say is thank you for taking the time to watch the video and showing me.

When I use to shift down to first doing my method I would hear a big CLUNK. So yeah you're right. It's using the right oil now since I brought it in for it's first service last week. That's the only thing that's changed.

My questions is, and I'm also sorry of this is obvious: When you bleep the throttle, and down shift, do I let go of the clutch slowly, or let it go fast?

My questions is, and I'm also sorry of this is obvious: When you bleep the throttle, and down shift, do I let go of the clutch slowly, or let it go fast?
Well, the ultimate goal is to do it all as quickly and accurately as possible. So the short answer is fast, but it takes practice to get there. If you start dumping the clutch on downshifts before the accuracy is there, especially with a bike this powerful, you could be setting yourself up for a world of hurt.

One way to think of it… relate it to what I described earlier about keeping the throttle steady. With that method, once you pull the clutch, the RPMs are going to rise at a given rate with now the unloaded engine. Once you're practiced, if you let out the clutch quickly the moment the revs pass through the new RPM of the lower gear, there's no jerk as power is reapplied, and you're perfectly shifted.

From that as a starting point, the only reason to blip the throttle is if you want to speed up the shift. You want the revs to go up faster than just unloading the engine and letting them rise… you want them to get up to the new RPM as quickly as possible. At that point, just the same as before, you let out the clutch quickly at the new RPM.

Does that make sense? I have a way of overthinking things and probably making it more complicated than it needs to be.

Does that make sense? I have a way of overthinking things and probably making it more complicated than it needs to be.

That makes sense. I actually just got back from a short ride, and I blip the throttle/rev matching, and my down shifting was a lot smoother, and from 1st to 2nd was great (but as we discussed, 1st isn't really needed, but still tried it anyway).

I will continue to keep practicing.

Back