Wondering if there are year models to avoid?

From what I understand the 2004/2005? transmissions had some issues. But only some. And something with the ignition that required an Eastern Beaver upgrade. Other, more knowledgeable guys are around, but maybe asleep right now.

Properly maintained and operated (use the clutch!!) they'll last as long as you want them to.
From what I understand the 2004/2005? transmissions had some issues. But only some. And something with the ignition that required an Eastern Beaver upgrade. Other, more knowledgeable guys are around, but maybe asleep right now.

Properly maintained and operated (use the clutch!!) they'll last as long as you want them to.

Thanks for all the valuable information regarding various model years that certainly helps. I had been looking at mainly 2004 and 2005s because of the price and I like the looks of the silver colored engine and was planning to get a pretty low mileage one since so many seem to be. I see a 2006 with the black engine and only 7600 miles in the owner says it is in like new condition. I can't tell if it is a classic or not. It has windshield, leather bags, floor boards, and rear sissy bar with luggage rack. He wants $7000 which seems maybe a little high?

Reality check is this is a machine designed and built in England with many parts outsourced from venders all over the world. Q/A sometimes can be a problem. Anything could fail.
Thanks for the information! I was wondering approximately how much does the update kit cost and how much would installation cost be? I really like the R3 and they seem to fit me well but I have to admit the fact that they are made in England has concerned me a bit. My family had an MG midget that logged more time on the end of a tow rope than it did under it's own power! But on the upside the R3 has twice as big of engine and weighs quite a bit less! So hopefully my second experience with British motoring will be a lot more positive I'm certainly looking forward to it!!!

Overall, I'd say they're pretty reliable.
Specifically to your question:
The kit costs just a little over $200 (and is a heck of a good deal for all those parts). However, you're looking at minimum 16, usually and most likely 20 hours charged labor to have it installed (at whatever your mechanics prices are?). You can do it yourself as well but it's not for novices. I had a tremendous amount of experience and assistance helping me through it! I would have never attempted it without them.
As to years, there's always lemons. The 04 to mid 08 all had the same common issues. However, not every 04-08 experienced them. Some had 100km problem free. Others didn't make it past 10k. I will say, what I've learned on here is the ignition issues and the second gear issues usually start to present themselves between 10-20k. Can't really speak to the cam issues? Ignition is a wicked easy fix. The others; well, that's what the kit is for.
Having just installed it, I can say...I don't care if I'd had to pay $2k for maintence. My bike would've still been thousands cheaper than any other brand even trying to come close, and still far better than all those said brands!

Overall, I'd say they're pretty reliable.
Specifically to your question:
The kit costs just a little over $200 (and is a heck of a good deal for all those parts). However, you're looking at minimum 16, usually and most likely 20 hours charged labor to have it installed (at whatever your mechanics prices are?). You can do it yourself as well but it's not for novices. I had a tremendous amount of experience and assistance helping me through it! I would have never attempted it without them.
As to years, there's always lemons. The 04 to mid 08 all had the same common issues. However, not every 04-08 experienced them. Some had 100km problem free. Others didn't make it past 10k. I will say, what I've learned on here is the ignition issues and the second gear issues usually start to present themselves between 10-20k. Can't really speak to the cam issues? Ignition is a wicked easy fix. The others; well, that's what the kit is for.
Having just installed it, I can say...I don't care if I'd had to pay $2k for maintence. My bike would've still been thousands cheaper than any other brand even trying to come close, and still far better than all those said brands!
I definitely don't have the experience to tackle that kind of repair but going up to a 2009 or higher model is also going to up the price over what I had been planning on paying. Do you have any idea on how common of a problem the transmission issue is one in 20? one in 10? half of them? I found a 2006 with 7600 miles that looks really nice for $7000 but maybe i should keep looking? Thanks again for all the information!!

I don't think anyone really knows. We have the same type of problems with the Porsche Boxster I own. The 986 Forum I'm on for it reads like you would think Boxsters are a POJ. Reading there it sounds like a nightmare. Truthfully less than 5% of Boxsters have the dreaded failure everyone frets about. I think that number is probably about the same with the Rocket. You could expect 5% or less to have the 2 major problems. My 2006 is still running great with 29,000 miles. No fear here.

I don't think anyone really knows. We have the same type of problems with the Porsche Boxster I own. The 986 Forum I'm on for it reads like you would think Boxsters are a POJ. Reading there it sounds like a nightmare. Truthfully less than 5% of Boxsters have the dreaded failure everyone frets about. I think that number is probably about the same with the Rocket. You could expect 5% or less to have the 2 major problems. My 2006 is still running great with 29,000 miles. No fear here.
yours and mine as well bud! I logged 40 000 so far and except for the bearing in the output shaft it has been smooth sailing

I definitely don't have the experience to tackle that kind of repair but going up to a 2009 or higher model is also going to up the price over what I had been planning on paying. Do you have any idea on how common of a problem the transmission issue is one in 20? one in 10? half of them? I found a 2006 with 7600 miles that looks really nice for $7000 but maybe i should keep looking? Thanks again for all the information!!
Well that's good I was thinking if it was 50% or something I'm not feeling all that lucky but I can live with 5%. I think I'm starting to fall prey to internet-itess where if you read long enough about something you can convince yourself you either have it or are doomed to experience it brain tumor, yellow fever, spontaneous transmission disease.... LOL. Thanks again for all the help and valuable information!!! From all you guys!!!

Thought ya'all may be interested in this -
As a subscriber of Consumer Reports for MANY years, I have never seen any evaluation info on motorcycles before!

CR-Motors-Reliability.jpg

I see a 2006 with the black engine and only 7600 miles in the owner says it is in like new condition. I can't tell if it is a classic or not. It has windshield, leather bags, floor boards, and rear sissy bar with luggage rack. He wants $7000 which seems maybe a little high?

Classics originally came with pull back bars, floor boards instead of pegs, dual seat instead of tandem, pipes with tapered exhaust tips instead of slash cut, Classic badges on the side covers and two-tone paint. Of course over the years plenty of Standards have had some or all of those things added. Standards were all single colour. Although the black engine was introduced in '06, some '07 Classics still had silver engines, but these mostly (exclusively?) where a limited edition Tourer - not to be mistaken for the Touring. The pinstriping between the 2 colours on a genuine Classic was hand painted and the 'artists' initials should be on the lower rear of the tank.

Back