Where is 1st Gear

cycleheadlp

Standard Bore
I am having trouble getting my Rocket to go into 1st gear from neutral. Upshifts ok and downshifts ok, even to 1st while moving, although downshifts can sometimes be a little tight. Just does not like to go into 1st from neutral at a stop without a struggle. Blipping the throttle before attempting seems to help often. Only have 300 miles on it, and other than that, it runs great. Anyone have any ideas? I would really like to avoid any tear-down by a dealer if possible.:confused:

It is very common for the transmission to be difficult during the first few thousand miles. It will improve with time as it breaks in. One thing that helped me was to roll backward or forward just slightly then try putting it into gear.

You're Not The Only One

I had the same problem for the first 500 miles. Even down shifting would sometimes leave me pushing down from 2nd to 1st and only getting the lever to move like it wasn't attached to anything. :eek: I'd sometimes try 3 or 4 times and still end up leaving the light in 2nd.

When they changed out the break in oil for the synthetic at 500 miles and checked everything over.......I just asked the mechanic to adjust it as though it was his ride.

Voila! 99% improved and only a few little "hic-ups" that I can live with. :cool:

Mine did (does) the same thing. When I talked to the guys at D&D cycles (30 years working on english bikes) they told me it was normal for shaft drive bikes (Japanese as well) to be a little grumpy going into 1st when you are stopped. When my bike goes into first it shifts (clunks?) very solidly. If I don't feel that solid shift I can either rock forward a little and try again or with the engine on let the clutch out slowly until I feel it try and engage and then pull it back in and shift again. Either of these methods seem to work well. I have 1500 miles on the bike now, and it happens only rarely now; either because the bike is breaking in, or the fact that I almost never completely stop the bike without downshifting into first. If that doesn't work, take off in second, it's got the torque! :) Scott

I think it is a combination of break-in for the tranny and break-in for the rider. Both improve over time and miles.

cycleheadlp said:
I am having trouble getting my Rocket to go into 1st gear from neutral.
1. Check your clutch free-play adjustment to spec.
2. When you change oil and get a good 20W-50 fully synthetic oil in there, shifting will improve noticeably.

Back