What's "normal" for an R3 roadster?

Mine was erratic and sputtering, then smooth, then skipping. Tried everything, all the known problems/fixes, long story short, the spark plugs were bad. Changed them out, fixed immediately, and zero problems since then. Felt kind of stupid but the bike had low miles so I never suspected them.

Just a different thought . . .
A 16% grade is HUGE and on gravel VERY DICEY!!!
If moving slowly downhill in a taller gear, rear braking may lock the rear wheel enough to kill the engine.
Just sayin' . . .

The grade is asphalt, coming to our drive. We had freezing rain and fog this winter, with an inch of ice. A guy was putting chains on. I went about twenty feet to test it at the top of the hill. I slid five feet on a slight grade down. We parked off the road, walking down about a mile to the house, using my wife's cellphone light and made walking sticks to walk on the frozen shoulder.

Made it to the house without falling. Walked down the slope on our drive, iced over. Went down, and crawled twenty feet to a flat spot to stand up. Next morning, tried to get to the pickup up the hill on the tractor. Went a third of the way, started sliding backward. I dropped the bucket and rear scraper with ripper teeth into the ice to stop, and creeped downhill.

The Rocket stayed parked. Maybe I can get chains for it.

Back