What's "normal" for an R3 roadster?

Dalan

Supercharged
Ride
2015 R3R
Have not had the pleasure of being around other rocketeers. So, I have a vague idea of what is normal and what is not.

We have about a half mile of steep road (16% +\-) down hill to our driveway and a half mile on gravel to the house. When the engine was new, it stalled a few times going downhill, with throttle closed. Bike has about 2,800 miles now. I lose about 1,200 feet in elevation headed into town about six miles. Engine pops a bit into town when it is headed downhill. And, I feel some driveline lash. I guess you would describe it as bucking a bit.

The bike smooths out under load. I ran her out to the coast last week. She seemed perfectly happy at 80-90 mph. Even got 38+ mpg.

I had been running premium non ethanol gas, because of the rainy weather, and have been using it in small engines. And switching back and forth with ethanol regular, when I could not get to the other station.

Heading from town, uphill to the house, engine is smooth as silk. Really does not matter what gear, the engine always has it in every gear.

Not sure if I am creating a problem switching fuels, and unsure if it causes issues with the fuel injection. Or, have things running too lean, or it is normal. The Goldwing seemed mostly indifferent on the same route, but I burned only ethanol in it.

Any thoughts? I generally go downhill at minimal or no throttle. We have a gravel drive, often wet, and I creep onto it. The rocket tends to wallow around a bit off the pavement.

I will say that I have never had the bike stall on me going down a hill. That is definitely not normal.

As for the other items, I am not so sure, I tend to ride either under load or with the clutch in. I'd have to pay attention and get back to you ..... although things are mostly flat around here (how I wish I lived near more mountains)

Not normal, intake leak, stepper motor adjustment?? Improper set up when put together at the dealer?I had a the stalling issue when new dealer corrected it.
Elevation change should not cause those kind of issues, but what do I know where I live my elevation only changes 17 feet in 60 miles.

The ECU will adapt to changes in air pressure. It may be that the fuel has been leaned out as you rode up the hill to your home. However, in the morning the bike will run the fuel it needs for starting and running a cold engine and then, as you are going down the hill, it switches to running a warm engine, but still adapted for the altitude. It will then take a couple of minutes to adapt to its new conditions. Although this is a small amount, it could be enough to cause a miss or two, or popping because of running a little lean, for a short while. You could check this theory by allowing the bike to warm up on the sidestand for a few minutes before riding it. If the engine is at operating temperature before you start then the problem should be diminished.

Dunno enough about the engine stuff or the fuelling, but lash in the drive train (at lower speeds and gearing) is a common observation on the forum here.

Many Roadster owners report stalling problems when the bike was pretty new, specifically, before the first service, including myself. When it happened it would be when I was in neutral coasting up to a light, down a hill, or similar.

Lash is normal, second gear is the worst.

Assuming you've done the first service, I'd bring it by the dealer if possible le and ask them to verify the TPS, IACV, and balance of the the throttle bodies based on the stalling. Those are part of the first service and if not done will leave it stalling like you have.

It has not stalled on me since the engine break in period. That was only down the steep hill to our house, throttle closed for full engine braking. It has never stalled on me just idling, or at any other time.

I appreciate the responses. Gas mileage is improving somewhat, as I get some miles on it.

kind of a double sided question there ,there is nothing normal about a rocket (sorry could not help myself)

Back