What is the difference in the Model years

Now you are just getting silly. No way is a Harley faster than any color of Rocket.

Did not know about the relocation of the foot pegs. What year did that happen? I am only 5'-7" would that move help someone of my height or would that be the wrong direction. The 2005 I rode felt great but it was only a 25 minute ride.

Can you guys do 300-400 mile days comfortably on the Rocket?

I have both a Saddle Sore 1000 (1000 miles/24 hrs) and a Bun Burner 1500 (1500 miles/36 hrs) to my credit on the Rocket. One of the Brits has many more Iron Butt credits.

If you are on the heavy side, imho, the stock seating is absolutely brutal. The foam is just too soft. Lighter folks seem to be ok but I had to change out seats. I just installed a Corbin Dual Tour and the first 1000 miles has been very positive.

Now you are just getting silly. No way is a Harley faster than any color of Rocket.

Did not know about the relocation of the foot pegs. What year did that happen? I am only 5'-7" would that move help someone of my height or would that be the wrong direction. The 2005 I rode felt great but it was only a 25 minute ride.

My throw on things, ;). Got my Rocket last August after first selling my Fatboy (H-D in case you didnt know :rolleyes: ), took a test ride on a 2008 Standard - me being 5' 8" with 29" leg it was a real stretch and I felt bent in half reaching over the tank for the bars and forward with my feet to reach the pegs. Came home from the test ride planning how I was going to get my Fatboy back from the mate I had just sold it to :eek:.

Came on this site (I think, might have been the other one) and asked some questions and found out about the Classic model. This has a riding position very close to a Fatboy with pull back bars and foot-boards, this was ideal for me. I have since sat on a Roadster and it felt much better than the Standard, for me anyway.

All Roadsters have the new foot-peg position so its important to test ride.

As for 300-400 miles a day - the answer is yes, I've found its more about time in the saddle than miles - 1½ to 2 hours is as much as I can do. There are some iron-arse's on here that would laugh at that. :p

As for 300-400 miles a day - the answer is yes, I've found its more about time in the saddle than miles - 1½ to 2 hours is as much as I can do. There are some iron-arse's on here that would laugh at that. :p

I totally agree with your time frame. Anymore than 2 hours at a time is more about your ability to put up with discomfort. I'm not into discomfort. Until someone figures out how to mount a good car seat on a bike, and make it look cool, I'll be stopping every two hours. I've ridden a number of different bikes long distance, and have yet to find one that suddenly makes me want to ride in three hour stretches.

I test rode a 2012 and a used 2008 on the same day and preferred the location of the 2012 foot pegs. I am only 5'-7" 155# and the pegs just felt better. I think I would also need some risers or pullback bars.

I am thinking about the Triumph off road slip-ons and download as well. Does anyone know if that is a good way to go for more hp?

How do you release the full power in the first 3 gears?

I test rode a 2012 and a used 2008 on the same day and preferred the location of the 2012 foot pegs. I am only 5'-7" 155# and the pegs just felt better. I think I would also need some risers or pullback bars.

I am thinking about the Triumph off road slip-ons and download as well. Does anyone know if that is a good way to go for more hp?

How do you release the full power in the first 3 gears?

There are a couple of options mate for the release of power in the first three gears
the first is a device called the GIpro with atre it is a little black gear indicater about 3/4 of the size of a match box that fooles your ECU into thinking the bike is in a higher gear. do a search there are threads on the topic.

The other option is by loading a map via tune ecu "free program" or tuneboy "Not free" that has the ignition tables copied from higher gears to the lower ones.
I have both Gipro and Tune ecu because i purchased a Gipro atre before i found out about tune ecu so my Gipro is acting as a gear indicator only. The roadsters come with a gear indicator standard so tune ecu would probably be best as its free. I have tune ecu controlling my rev limit- speedo adjustment -ignitiontables and all that jazz and a powercommander v controlling my fuel u can also open your secondaries 100% with tune ecu and use it for diagnostics on sensors ect and to balance your throttle bodies ect all u need is a OBDII lead from ebay and a laptop link for tune ecu download can be found on this sight:cool:

Looks like you test rode both and found the one that fits best. I did the same and the forward controls of a 2008 Standard fit me the best. I came from a Harley and actually my R3 is more comfortable than it ever was.

I bought mine back in March and am just as happy with it I was when I got it home.

The farthest I've ridden in one day is 630 miles but I usually ride 300 to 400 everyday that I am off work. Like the others have said two hours at a time and it remains comfortable even with the stock seat. I usually cruise at 75 to 80 and stop for fuel and a stretch every 150 to 175 miles.

One more thing to note : my Harley was black and my Rocket is red, so in my case the red bikes are a helluva lot faster.

Forward pegs can be a bugger on a long trip because it's almost impossible to lift your weight off your arse. Give yourself a few options by adding highway pegs. Mine are placed so I can heel/toe with the standard pegs or stretch right out - 3 positions. Sometimes I reach my feet back to the pillion pegs, which is a great way to get some feeling back in a numb bum. I've been looking at maybe adding some small pegs at the rear of the rail so I can lift my weight. That would be perfect then.

For every day riding though, you should choose the peg position you like best. For me it's forward; some like the Roadster position better. But there are things you can do to help the long haul either way.

What I did with my 2010 Roadster was removed the restrictive crossover box to the Staintune crossover. The part number is TR CO ROC R

Added this to the TORS exhaust (the ones you mentioned). It has a deep tone to it and is not loud until you hammer it.

Link Removed

I bought the crossover from California BMW Triumph Motorcycles: Motorcycle Parts, Accessories, BMW Apparel, KTM Parts

Then I added a updated tune using Tuneecu. I couldn't be any happier with the sound and power.

Back