What a difference a tire makes!

geneseo1911

Naturally Aspirated
Ride
2007 Rocket Classic, 2018 Rocket Roadster
Just got back from getting a new front tire fitted. Went with the avon cobra in 140/75r17 and it feels like a different bike. Feels 150lbs lighter. MUCH faster steering response. Can't understand why triumph didn't spec this tire from the factory; i think it would improve their sales. I had been thinking about looking at some other bikes to find something that handled better, but a simple tire change has cured my biggest complaint about the rocket.

Thank you to those who did the experimentation to figure this out. Only bad part is i'll need to adjust the front fender, but the improved handling is more than worth it.

Just got back from getting a new front tire fitted. Went with the avon cobra in 140/75r17 and it feels like a different bike. Feels 150lbs lighter. MUCH faster steering response. Can't understand why triumph didn't spec this tire from the factory; i think it would improve their sales. I had been thinking about looking at some other bikes to find something that handled better, but a simple tire change has cured my biggest complaint about the rocket.

Thank you to those who did the experimentation to figure this out. Only bad part is i'll need to adjust the front fender, but the improved handling is more than worth it.

What kind of adjustments will you have to make to your front fender? I'm running a wider and taller 150/80-17 Cobra on the front of my Roadster with no fender problems...

What tire size and make/model were you running previously?

The 150/80-17 is the standard size tire for the R as you know, so by going a size smaller (which drastically improves steering & agility, as geneseo1911 just found out) it makes the fender look like it is sitting up too high off the tire since it now has more gap between the two.
I don't know how you would adjust the front fender other than to drill the mount holes higher up on the tin & put nuts behind that.....
I'm not about to do that to mine. I'll live with the gap for the sacrifice of better steering IMG_1479.JPG

I just got the first new front tire on my 2014 Honda CTX700D -- not at all the same animal -- I had the same reaction, "What a (positive) difference !"

I'm looking forward to either some cash, or a forcing function to get that reverse mounted rear on the front and go (please remember you Roadster mavens your Touring brethren have 16" wheels and fewer choices in tires).

I just got the first new front tire on my 2014 Honda CTX700D -- not at all the same animal -- I had the same reaction, "What a (positive) difference !"

I'm looking forward to either some cash, or a forcing function to get that reverse mounted rear on the front and go (please remember you Roadster mavens your Touring brethren have 16" wheels and fewer choices in tires).

I have been running the Avon Azarro rear tire reversed on the front of my R3R for some time now.
A recent advanced motorcycle reconstruction class I took before RAA XI convinced me not to do this anymore.
Mind you the Azarro has worked well for me and I have NO complaints regarding its handling.
The difference in front and rear tire compound design purposes as well as the affects of roadway water dissipation with a reverse tread pattern were the factors for me.
Just saying and FYI . . .

The 150/80-17 is the standard size tire for the R as you know, so by going a size smaller (which drastically improves steering & agility, as geneseo1911 just found out) it makes the fender look like it is sitting up too high off the tire since it now has more gap between the two.
I don't know how you would adjust the front fender other than to drill the mount holes higher up on the tin & put nuts behind that.....
I'm not about to do that to mine. I'll live with the gap for the sacrifice of better steering IMG_1479.JPG

OK, so it's just that the fender gap increases 0.59". I'm surprised it's that noticeable.
What is it that improves handling so much? Surely not the diameter. The narrower width and shorter sidewall height?

Last edited:
By reversing a rear MC tire and putting it in front is a match in tread pattern to a front MC tire mounted normally
Therefore water dissipation is the same.
I don't believe compound difference make a difference.
Pun intended.

What kind of adjustments will you have to make to your front fender? I'm running a wider and taller 150/80-17 Cobra on the front of my Roadster with no fender problems...
What tire size and make/model were you running previously?

I don't understand . . .
My 140 does not look that "empty" under the fender as did my 130???
140-Front-Tire.jpg

Back