Went down with the bike yesterday....

some great news....
I've been told the bike will NOT BE TOTALED!
I will be given a payout of $5500 which I can use any way I choose toward repairs.
I've decided I'll have the bike towed to my place and in an effort to save labor costs ($160/hr), I'll strip the busted stuff myself, place orders for the replacement parts, install what I can, let dealer install the stuff I can't.
I'll focus my dollars on making the bike functional first, then start replacing lost accessories (fog lights, heated grips, crash bars, highway pegs, etc.).
she'll need a lot and I'm guessing wait times on some stuff will be substantial.
Doesn't matter, I'll be on MY bike at some time again the future!!!
My stomach has officially stopped hurting.......

Or just keep an eye on the Classifieds here and eBay and you should be able to pocket at least half of that check after you are back on the road.

I would strongly recommend listing ALL the bits you need on a Wanted thread in the Classifieds here. you will be flooded with offers and assistance in locating what you need.

Those cammo flip flops don't do a good job of hiding those white pallid feet - looks like your dying from your feet up, which I suppose is better than the other way around.;):p:D

As The immortal Mae West may have said "Is that a Mint Julip between your legs or are you ...."

:eek: I sobered up this morning n deleted it :roll:

Superbike riders are riding super bikes in order to go fast most of the time. They ride on the edge and ride a bike that is built to do that. In my opinion their odds of going down are greater than mine as I am not trying to see how fast I can go or how far i can lean anymore. They should dress for the occasion and I should dress for comfort. Both of us have no intensions of going down but there are no guarantees. IF YOU WANT TO MAKE SURE YOU DON'T CRASH, COLLECT STAMPS!

Good point, but then again on the race track nobody is text messaging, talking on the phone, surfing the net,using their car as an assault vehicle, or being plain old bad driver!

I do agree that some times it's just to fn hot to wear the whole kit and caboodle! Just don't crash and wear what you want and everything will be ok!

So much easier to wear the full complement of safety gear in the spring and fall, but if you in a warmer year round climate, I understand!!

Superbike riders are riding super bikes in order to go fast most of the time. They ride on the edge and ride a bike that is built to do that. In my opinion their odds of going down are greater than mine as I am not trying to see how fast I can go or how far i can lean anymore. They should dress for the occasion and I should dress for comfort. Both of us have no intensions of going down but there are no guarantees. IF YOU WANT TO MAKE SURE YOU DON'T CRASH, COLLECT STAMPS!
HA yes tough talk but I always dress to be comfortable with a HELMET and a JACKET . I laugh at the HD crowd that wear 20 dollar novelty helmets that are crap and not comfy so its more comfy to wear nice gear trather han the cheap crap and your protected

After going to a few funerals and seeing the unnecessary pain and suffering of people who lost a loved one from motorcycle accidents that were not wearing a helmet is enough for me to wear a helmet and proper gear every time my leg goes over a bike. Do not want my wife or family standing over my grave thinking @amn if he only had his helmet on at the time. No thank you.

some great news....
I've been told the bike will NOT BE TOTALED!
I will be given a payout of $5500 which I can use any way I choose toward repairs.
I've decided I'll have the bike towed to my place and in an effort to save labor costs ($160/hr), I'll strip the busted stuff myself, place orders for the replacement parts, install what I can, let dealer install the stuff I can't.
I'll focus my dollars on making the bike functional first, then start replacing lost accessories (fog lights, heated grips, crash bars, highway pegs, etc.).
she'll need a lot and I'm guessing wait times on some stuff will be substantial.
Doesn't matter, I'll be on MY bike at some time again the future!!!
My stomach has officially stopped hurting.......
Hey Thorin, clean the wreck up best you can. Toss the mangled parts so it doesn't look so ugly. Sell it for $2500 as is. Take that and the $5500 insurance money, tack on another $1k, that gives you $9k to find a low mileage 2013 or 2014.... I just bought my 2014 Roadster with 980 miles for $8500... Glad you are Ok.

that is great advice and had a bike or 2 come available in that price point before i started ordering replacement parts it would've been the way to go. as it is, i'm proud to say the bike is roadworthy as of today due to my insurance check and personal efforts this past week.
new front fender, new handlebars, new heated grips, fog lights, headlights, front brake lever, highway bars, airbox cover, new front disc rotors ($325 each, ****!), and assorted other bits and pieces. the gas tank is coming from england, painted by the factory and on it's way here. a local muffler shop found (what appear to be a suitable) replacement mufflers for my jardine exhaust system. that work will be completed this week.
i am SO **** LUCKY to have found this forum. your advice and support has been MASSIVE and many of you have sold me replacement parts helping my insurance money go farther.
as soon as my fractured ankle can stand it, me and bike will be cruising again.

Back