Went down with the bike yesterday....

i'm a very lucky gent..
Yup. A bugger about the ankle, though.

Vanson do some GOOD perforated Leather gear (so do others I'm sure). imo (and some experience now) in seriously HOT sun - vented leather works better than Mesh. Esp with an evaporative vest/jacket underneath.

I am trying to get into Madrid to see the Vanson S1 Strip Jacket in ProPerf Leather. I'd wear it OVER a Halvarssons Armoured UnderJacket (not designed to be worn alone) if it looks OK.

I, like you, have lost some confidence in Mesh.

Glad your relatively ok. You will heal up fast! Yeah... very important to have all the gear all the time! It also saved my ass last year when I crashed my harley.... but you'll be back on your Rocket in no time!

After 52 years of riding, thorin, I've been there and done that more than once. It sounds like you'll be fine in a couple of months or so. Count your blessings!

I'm so glad to read that your were as prepared as possible for a get-off (ATGATT + full-face lid), because that definitely spared you much worse pain and suffering. How or why others don't do the same, especially on a beast such as our Rocket IIIs, is well beyond my ken. :banghead:

Don't worry about a replacement for now. Just cooperate with your insurer, strip the bike of any Triumph accessories or aftermarket goodies that you can replace with OEM bits, so you can either sell or reuse them and when you get your settlement, we'll help you find a great, lovingly used R3, provided that wifey gives you the green light.;):p

More cowbell...

Last edited:
Glad you are in one piece Thorin. Bikes can be replaced.

My bike has ABS and I love it, but first time I took it to a parking lot to practice power braking OMG. You can really feel the weight of the bike. She is a 2 wheeled semi.

After reading this post think I need to brush up on that again. It is easy to forget when our Rockets are gliding down the road how big and heavy they can get real quick.

Lest we forget.

I'm glad you are OK Thorin! I had a spill back in '87 on my Honda 750K Four. No cuts or scratches but I was stiff for about two weeks.
Hope your ankle gets back to normal quick. Pity about the bike but as stated, it can be replaced, or fixed.
Thanks for the plug of protective gear! I'm STILL not quite to the point I want to wear a jacket, but I am getting used to the helmet.
Time to start looking for leather....

Been fortunate with the "offs' myself. In my life I have had several in the dirt and one on the street when I was in my teens and thought nothing would be wrong with riding in shorts. One experience with road rashed legs and if you are half way smart you learn and don't do that again. Glad you are ok.

I went down on the freeway once when my girlfriend caught a jacket she had folded in between her and the sissybar in the back wheel. It locked it up, I kept it up for a moment but the back wheel started to come around and it was all over a moment later. I had sandals on (this was the sixties) and a tee shirt and levis, no helmet. I was't hurt to bad, nothing broken but some road rash and a piece of my heel gone. NO HOSPITAL. Another time I hit a guardrail while racing another bike on a turn and crashed. No helmet or protective anything. NO HOSPITAL. I wear one today but not a good one. Last year my friend got killed with a expensive full face helmet on him that his daughter made him promise to wear. In his crash the bike mirror came off but the mirror stem went under his helmet which of course did not come off so the stem went into his upper neck and severed all the nerves that go from your brain down thru your neck and his heart stopped along with his lungs. He went down at about 25 mph. Point is don't think that your million dollar helmet and armor suit makes you exempt from injury or death. Be aware, leave space, ride crazy at your own risk.

ATGATT never fails to work, glad you are okay as said bikes can be replaced in fact for $4500 you can have a brand new second hand 67000 mile 2005 std:D now what happened I know you said the guy braked hard which does cause the old pucker reaction, were you riding to close or any thing distracting you, was swerving out of the question? just trying to help this from happening to anyone else.
Great choice on the full face helmet makes me shiver when I see people ride without one.

I thought the same thing, Braking distance, Drive center lane always give yourself somewhere to go, Hard Shoulders will work or even better never have anything in front of you always overtake and if that means doing it on the inside lane then so be it...

Back