OR .... since you have it all apart buy the Neville Lush Racing 200 HP plus kit and install it now. Just sayin ! Only took me 13 months to git it done while working 56 hours a week.
Im all for that but I would imagine the price is still well over the $1,500 I currently have. Honestly, if it takes 6 or 8 months to save up for it and install it, it may be something down the road for the engine with the trashed trans.

Ok, Its been a while since I posted, but here is an update. I finally got a chance to get an engine, and a once over at the shop showed some surface rust on parts (good ole Florida) with some minor wear due to the other bike being dropped, but overall in good shape. Started to tear into it today and looked at the front motor mounts and realized they had all been cracked or broken and welded back together and blended to match. Three of them look like they have been sufficiently welded back to form with the outer portion being ugly, while the third shows a crack that had not been welded.
2023-03-21 18.36.47.jpg

2023-03-21 18.40.51.jpg

2023-03-21 18.41.33.jpg

2023-03-21 18.41.48.jpg

2023-03-21 18.41.56.jpg

Now Im stuck with a decision. As far as I can tell, the new engine spins freely and doesn't have any issues besides the hack job in trying to repair the mounts. So should I take this to a fab shop and have them fixed correctly so I know the mounts are good or do I flip this engine over, rip out the trans and transfer it into my engine, and keep the rest for spares/sell them?

Ok, Its been a while since I posted, but here is an update. I finally got a chance to get an engine, and a once over at the shop showed some surface rust on parts (good ole Florida) with some minor wear due to the other bike being dropped, but overall in good shape. Started to tear into it today and looked at the front motor mounts and realized they had all been cracked or broken and welded back together and blended to match. Three of them look like they have been sufficiently welded back to form with the outer portion being ugly, while the third shows a crack that had not been welded.
2023-03-21 18.36.47.jpg

2023-03-21 18.40.51.jpg

2023-03-21 18.41.33.jpg

2023-03-21 18.41.48.jpg

2023-03-21 18.41.56.jpg

Now Im stuck with a decision. As far as I can tell, the new engine spins freely and doesn't have any issues besides the hack job in trying to repair the mounts. So should I take this to a fab shop and have them fixed correctly so I know the mounts are good or do I flip this engine over, rip out the trans and transfer it into my engine, and keep the rest for spares/sell them?
Some of welds look like surface welds only, and others look terrible, that being said, hard to make a good-looking weld with cast aluminum. Would talk to a good welding shop for advice. Veeing out cracks and multiple passes time consuming and expensive. Good luck, hope you got it at a decent price.

Well sh1t if you don't have bad luck then you've no luck at all.
Was the (botched) repair noted in the ad?
If not, I'd be seeking compensation for it from whoever sold you the motor.

If a shop will professionally repair the mounts then I guess that is the most efficient route to getting bike going.
You bought the motor to do an engine swap - if it was just a new transmission you would have bought just that.

If engine swap isn't a viable route,,,, then yeah I suppose transferring internals is a way to go, now you've already got this motor and stuck with it. Less efficient as you've to open 2 engines but hey.
But while in transition I'd get the good trans worked over by Robinson before committing it to the motor intended to be used.

1ST the early rockets don't lose the clip
i would guess the problem to be the final drive and that is what i would check first.
i am thinking that the splines is stripped going into the collar on the final drive.
if it is then go with a later model with the drive shaft that is bigger.
to confirm move rubber boot back at the rear of motor rotate wheel and see if the driveshaft turns at the motor.
hth
every rear tire change we need to remember to tell the person to check and grease the splines (i'm told) as out rockets get older and the miles add up. The dealership said replacing the transmission with labor is about 3-4k

I have been looking at the forums and it seems that many early parts were put in incorrectly. If that bearing went, the gears are gone. I did manage to get it into 1st and idle a bit to get it all the way down my 1/4 mile drive which seems to me like it hit a partial shift during downshift and took some teeth. but I wont know until I drop the motor and split the bottom end. Either way, its going to be expensive.
sorry to hear this news

First off, to have broken those mounts, I would suspect the bike had been in a very bad accident. I have a similar thing with the 2015 engine I bought. Must have been completely run over by a truck, as the frame was even bent! 3 of the 4 mounting brackets had been broken off at the half way point of the holes. I fabricated some special brackets, installed, and torqued to specs. Smeared some JB weld around one mount, to use as an indicator if there's any movement. Been months now, and no problems.

Attachments

• mount.jpg
    mount.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 25
Well sh1t if you don't have bad luck then you've no luck at all.
Was the (botched) repair noted in the ad?
If not, I'd be seeking compensation for it from whoever sold you the motor.

If a shop will professionally repair the mounts then I guess that is the most efficient route to getting bike going.
You bought the motor to do an engine swap - if it was just a new transmission you would have bought just that.

If engine swap isn't a viable route,,,, then yeah I suppose transferring internals is a way to go, now you've already got this motor and stuck with it. Less efficient as you've to open 2 engines but hey.
But while in transition I'd get the good trans worked over by Robinson before committing it to the motor intended to be used.
Well, in my mind, any used engine is a toss up on how good it is or isnt. So my thought was if I can swap the engine and everything is good to go, thats the best possible outcome. If not, it should have a good transmission that I can use as parts at the very least. It is more work but as long as I end up with a running bike I will be happy.

Some of welds look like surface welds only, and others look terrible, that being said, hard to make a good-looking weld with cast aluminum. Would talk to a good welding shop for advice. Veeing out cracks and multiple passes time consuming and expensive. Good luck, hope you got it at a decent price.
Im going to compression test it this weekend and give it a good look over for any other issues. If it tests good, I will start looking for a shop.

Back