Warning Lite - Oil lite stays on

hossr

.020 Over
Ride
2010 Triumph Rocket III
2010 Rocket 3, just purchased literally gave the bike away - so I should expect some issues> customer said something about oil lite problem but for the cost I thought how could I go wrong $500
The gasket seal around the oil pan had been removed and they used a poor gasket compound to replace it so I started there - ordered new gasket and cleaned the (2) filter pods on the oil pan. I hadn't even tried to start the bike yet - so after getting new gasket and oil and filter and battery I started the bike tonight. Started right up but the Oil lite (Warning indicator) did not go off so I quickly turned the bike off and tried it 2 times after that after looking at the Oil Sensor on the back tail end of the block. I have the manual and I am guessing the next step is to take off the radiator and remove the Oil Pressure pump?
What are your thought here on next steps?

+1 oil pressure test, yoke onto that hole that the oil pressure switch fits into.

If the pressure is ok, it makes life easier... but the fact they had the sump off and put it back badly is not good. Maybe the problem developed first and they took the sump off to investigate, or maybe they had it off for some other reason and managed to block a galley or mess a valve up in the process.

At least a quick pressure test will rule out a sensor, wiring or even eyesight problem (@cootertwo :) )

Last edited:
From the sounds of the bike when I start I really doubt that its the oil pressure sensor but I will test this evening (sounds like the bike is running dry but I only let it run for about 5-10 second max). I have noticed since I had to fill the oil that it's not moving thru the system, I took off the oil filter to see and it only let out a very little fluid.
I think you might be right that the issue was before and that is why they took off the oil pan and I think with the poor job they did with the gasket compound it might have compounded the existing problem. We will take a closer look this evening. If I take the cover off the oil reservoir will I see anything that will tell me that oil is moving thru the system? I just have the feeling from the sound of the bike when starting it's more than just a sensor.

Well we meant to check the pressure with a pressure gauge. The switch might be fine but the wire could be broke somewhere in the loom.
This new info sounds nasty - sounds like you already know the oul circulation is not happening. Which pretty much supersedes needing to check oil pressure.

Sounds like you need to disassemble the engine.. not sure how much of the circuit you can purge without having to disassemble, if any. You could start by removing the oil tank and sump, to ensure there is nothing blocking passageways there. After that pull the rad, front cover and clutch basket to get to the pump. And so on.
Good luck!

take a test wire and run it from the oil sensor to engine ground does the light go out?
i am not near my bike but i am thinking it is a oil/temp light so may be a prob with temp sender sensor ?

So what your telling me is good luck and start dissembling the bike... I am hoping it is not something that will require the full engine to be pulled like the scavenge pump. Tonight we will get dirty and see what we find... thanks for the advice.

So what your telling me is good luck and start dissembling the bike... I am hoping it is not something that will require the full engine to be pulled like the scavenge pump. Tonight we will get dirty and see what we find... thanks for the advice.

it would be a big mistake to start working on a motor without knowing what is wrong with it!
1st check oil pressure sensor by grounding oil sensor. if the light goes out then that wires/system is ok.
then u r down to bad sensor or bad pump/loss of pressure.
if light stays on then u have problem with wires/electric system and probably not a problem with the oil pressure.

is oil sensor good or bad ?
did you make sure u have oil in the oil reserve tank (no oil = no pressure.)
the last time i changed oil i had the idea of a fast oil change so i removed the filter and started the motor and the flow was good
it did not reach the front tire. (should have the fast oil change perfected after a couple more changes. ;)
i would at a minimum make sure the tank is full and pull the filter and start see if it pumps. (a bout 3 seconds then turn off)

it would be a big mistake to start working on a motor without knowing what is wrong with it!
1st check oil pressure sensor by grounding oil sensor. if the light goes out then that wires/system is ok.
then u r down to bad sensor or bad pump/loss of pressure.
if light stays on then u have problem with wires/electric system and probably not a problem with the oil pressure.

is oil sensor good or bad ?
did you make sure u have oil in the oil reserve tank (no oil = no pressure.)
the last time i changed oil i had the idea of a fast oil change so i removed the filter and started the motor and the flow was good
it did not reach the front tire. (should have the fast oil change perfected after a couple more changes. ;)
i would at a minimum make sure the tank is full and pull the filter and start see if it pumps. (a bout 3 seconds then turn off)

Understand - I will check the sensor first by grounding and see if the LIGHT goes out>
Tank is full as I put in 5-Quarts and the Oil is slightly above max levels... I will pull the Oil filter as requested and start engine for about 3-5 seconds - what am I expecting to see when the bike is started (should I see full flow out of the oil filter area where I would need a oil catch basin)?

Back