(update on the rebuild and issues shifting) Under full load slips out of 2nd gear and issues downshifting into 1st

the lever is an 7.5/10 for flop (10 being absolutely no play at all and 0 being the bolt came off) the bolt is tight and the sockets on the balls are lightly tight but the end play is a bit to loss and has some tightness to be desired.
i literally replace the cover with no thought to anything other than the wear on the Pin to the clutch as it can get damaged. i mean it never slips or has any other issues.
Ill do a video tomorrow showing all this
Did you take any pictures while you did the cover change? If so we coukd first see of its had the update kit since it looks like a 07 classic. As they said above clutch free play is important. And kevin is right you could have a couple warped steels in the clutch pack which under heavy load it would feel like its popping out of gear. Its losing its grip between the fibers and the steels and then catchs after a couple rotations. Plus if you can hold it in and it stays could be the detent spring. Like I said if I could look at some pictures witg the cover off I could answer a few questions.

Are we talking about bolt #12 that holds the gear change actuator arm #3 to the gear change actuator shaft #8? If that is loose, you need to pull the engine. If that was loose, you would probably have problems shifting in more than 1 gear.

I would suggest you have some worn dogs on 2nd gear. This also requires an engine pull. You could get the dogs undercut like many fellows have done. Here is a thread recently addressing a 2nd gear issue due to worn dogs.

Also, Kevin is asking about the amount of freeplay you have in the clutch lever. Rockets are temperamental if they don't have around 2 mm there. No freeplay also causes premature wear in the clutch lifter shaft mechanism.
oh good gravy Davey! nono im talking about the ball and socket and bolt that holds the lever you shift with your foot. See Video below.....
Is it common to have a worn dogs at 12K?
I don't think i have ANY free play on the lever. Ill adjust it properly now before my next ride.
what we have here is a failure to communicate
mine has always been hard to get into neutral most of the time i have had to release the clutch lever a quick small amount so the bike moves forward a bit then it will go to neutral. (this is not a problem) mine has been like this for 50,000 miles
the popping out off second is most likely a second gear lug problem/bent forks not a loose bolt (this is a big problem)
the adjustment that is being talked about is the clutch lever clearance on the left handle bar.2-3mm
i have the same issue but ALL my bikes pocket and cruisers all have that issue.
I will adjust it.. thanks. My bet is on a bent fork. It may have been bent when the bike was laid down by the PO. The Shifter lever was bent and the impact / slide was enough to shear off the bosses i welded back on for the controls and running bar up front.
Did you take any pictures while you did the cover change? If so we coukd first see of its had the update kit since it looks like a 07 classic. As they said above clutch free play is important. And kevin is right you could have a couple warped steels in the clutch pack which under heavy load it would feel like its popping out of gear. Its losing its grip between the fibers and the steels and then catchs after a couple rotations. Plus if you can hold it in and it stays could be the detent spring. Like I said if I could look at some pictures witg the cover off I could answer a few questions.
NOPE. i didn't think to and i was in a half of a rush just enough to not make a video. I'm 99% sure it has stock internals Talking with the last 4 owners it was never mentioned. the clutch is supper nice and grippy, no issues at all with WOT feathering or shifting to any use at all. I have dumped it a few times too. NEVER an issue. its DEFINATLY popping out of gear. no doubt about it. i have to shift back INTO gear. Its a violent jolt when your at revlimit or right about to hit rev limit on a full send WOT pull and it jumps into neutral. IT HURTS THE ARMS when your not ready for it.

Im 100% its not a clutch issue. Does it make sense that it could have been from the PO dropping it on the sifter that may have bent a dog/fork?

I made this video before i read all of your posts today so forgive me!
See the video here.

I looked at mine and your linkage has a little more play than mine but that should b fine

What was the rebuild?
Certainly sounds like the dreaded second gear problem already mentioned, exact symptoms my 06 did.
You'll be a lucky man if its only the dedent spring....good luck 🚀

What was the rebuild?
Certainly sounds like the dreaded second gear problem already mentioned, exact symptoms my 06 did.
You'll be a lucky man if its only the dedent spring....good luck 🚀
Mostly all cosmetic stuff and the tank, and the clutch cover and some case welding.
all the 2nd gear issues i have read are all them skipping around. I think the dog for 2nd is bent. IMO this is going to be what is it until it gets worse. If i make sure and fully shift into 2nd its not an issue. if i shift casually like i or anyone else would, then 2nd slips.
Ill probably wait till i send the engine out to carpenter for a 240 build.

Mostly all cosmetic stuff and the tank, and the clutch cover and some case welding.
all the 2nd gear issues i have read are all them skipping around. I think the dog for 2nd is bent. IMO this is going to be what is it until it gets worse. If i make sure and fully shift into 2nd its not an issue. if i shift casually like i or anyone else would, then 2nd slips.
Ill probably wait till i send the engine out to carpenter for a 240 build.
Sounds like a good idea, wish I could do Carpenter mods, but too far away down here in New Zealand.
I have a mate with the second gear problem & he has riden it for over 3 years like it is, just skips through 2nd most of the time when he rides.
He just doesn't want to spend nearly 5k nz to fix it, as the bike is only worth 10 (but not like it is). I've offered him 5k for it but to no avail 😅

Back