Underseat Coolant Bottle Relocation Questions

Turns out the 955i Daytona bottle will fit under the R3 tank where the undertank air duct once was... My dealer had one laying around the shop and installed it.... All works fine... This satisfies the "gray area" of concern Triumph had regarding the coolant bottle being under the seat.... I know nobody had any problems with the underseat bottle relocation... However, if anyone chooses to go this route, the bottle is $60USD.... Thanks again for everyone's input...

Mike...

CaptainCaeruleus said:
Turns out the 955i Daytona bottle will fit under the R3 tank where the undertank air duct once was... My dealer had one laying around the shop and installed it.... All works fine... This satisfies the "gray area" of concern Triumph had regarding the coolant bottle being under the seat.... I know nobody had any problems with the underseat bottle relocation... However, if anyone chooses to go this route, the bottle is $60USD.... Thanks again for everyone's input...

Mike...

Just a quick blurb on how this works FWIW. The ONLY issue(s) you have to worry about in placement of the coolant bottle under the seat is this:

1. finding a physical space for the bottle itself
A. the chosen location has to have it's cap above the normal expansion (when hot) pool level of the coolant or else the coolant will be all over the bike.
B. the coolant bottle will have to be large enough to accommodate the expanded volume of the coolant from cold to hot (this is actually pretty small!
C. the coolant bottle has to have a fully vented cap with a "gassing tube" leading to the ground exit area. I would NOT put this in front of the rear tire whereas coolant is slippery as all get out. I would trail it out as far on the back as possible and off to one side?

2. Making sure the line from the radiator to the coolant bottle is open and not impeded. This could be a hard line with rubber tube ends to befit the two and/or stainless steel braided line as well.

The system will work properly with all these in place. The expansion will form it's own natural pressure at the cap.. push coolant out when hot into the overflow bottle (regardless of length, position and/or relationship to the radiator or bottle) and form a suction when cooling to return the coolant to the radiator as well.

Back