Tune boy and idle problem

wilbur-t

Top Fuel
After all my other problems were fixed, I did the idle stepper motor reset on the tuneboy diagnostics sensor screen. This is a small button on the bottom of the screen labeled reset isvc. follow the directions that will scroll across the screen, then hit the reset adapt button. My throttle stepper works right now for the first time in months.

I hope this stays fixed....

In case you haven't been following this Wilbur replaced his primary throttle position potentiometer (TPS to you and me) and then reset his stepper motor using Tuneboy. This may be the "Magic Fix" we've all been searching for.

As I was wondering in another thread... some people have had dealers fix this problem by replacing the throttle bodies... but I'll bet that the new throttle body assembly had a new TPS installed in it. This might be the root cause of the problem.

Good job Wilbur:bch:

wilbur-t said:
After all my other problems were fixed, I did the idle stepper motor reset on the tuneboy diagnostics sensor screen. This is a small button on the bottom of the screen labeled reset isvc. follow the directions that will scroll across the screen, then hit the reset adapt button. My throttle stepper works right now for the first time in months.

What does this reset do? How do you know the idle stepper works right? What were the symptoms this corrected? Assuming that the TPS sensor is OK, is it advantageous to do this reset in any case?

The tuneboy reset tells you to watch the tps voltage as it opens the throttle with the stepper motor. If it does not go up enough, it tells you to adjust the stepper. Then you make sure it goes back to .6v when released. Then you hit the reset adapt. button. Only been two days so far, but mine idles up momentarily when started, then settles down to about 700 rpm.

My fingers are crossed.:rolleyes:

wilbur-t said:
The tuneboy reset tells you to watch the tps voltage as it opens the throttle with the stepper motor. If it does not go up enough, it tells you to adjust the stepper. Then you make sure it goes back to .6v when released. Then you hit the reset adapt. button. Only been two days so far, but mine idles up momentarily when started, then settles down to about 700 rpm.

My fingers are crossed.:rolleyes:

That's what mine does - perhaps settling a little lower - to about 500 rpm. Sounds like I can leave the stepper reset alone.

Tuneboy also lets you adjust the idle rpm. Did you do that?

Tuneboy also lets you adjust the idle rpm. Did you do that?

Haven't done that as yet, but will keep it in mind. I went back and backed off the hard stop screw for the throttle cable [That I had raised some time ago to make it idle.] before doing the stepper reset.

Had the idle drop on my bike down to nothing. Managed to get home and read loads of stuff about what to do about it and thought about it for a couple of weeks. Stumbled across this thread - tried it - it worked - Tuneboy saved me again (Used it to solve starting issues/cooling fan problems before). As simple as that!

Now for a ride ..........:D

Back