Trouble shifting into 2nd

triroketman

Supercharged
I was wondering if anyone is having trouble shifting into 2nd. Some times the bike shifts OK and other times it goes klunk-klunk but it does shift from 1st to 2nd. I know this kinda sounds goofy. All I can say is that it does not shift from 1st to 2nd like it should. Let me know if you have had this problem and what you have done about it.
Thanks
Dave

Piggr is right. The oil as it nears the end of it's useful life for some reason effects the way the bike shifts. As your service interval nears, the shifting gets progressively more notchy. That's one reason I'm on the Piggr change interval of 5,000 miles instead of 10,000 miles per OEM.

It's normally my fault

Thought I put on the floor boards and the heel/toe shifter...... I just ( out of habit ) put my toe under the bar and pull up into second once in a while. About 1 in 10 times I miss it and do a real nice rev in neutral for all the cars beside me. They probably think I'm egging them into a race or something.

Looking back after the missed shift I realize that I've tried the gentle and smooth lift of the toe instead of taking command of the **** thing and use a little forcefulness. What I do know is I've never missed when using the heel part of the shifter. Works like clock work everytime.

Poor quality Triumph

Mt 2007 R3 has shifter problems. I noticed when I rode it the first few days that it would find false neutrals - oh oh. 10 days of riding and 640 miles on the bike and the shifting has continued to go downhill.

Currently the bike is in the shop for the first service and I told them about the shifting problems. The problem was that it did not "pop" into first gear from neutral and then once I had upshifted during normal riding, it would not downshift. Upon downshifting all I got was a "dead" pedal. The gears would not engage. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Well, the guys at the shop did the first service, fluids, checks, etc. and installed my Summer screen. On the test ride they discovered it would get stuck in gear - dead pedal syndrome. Brain surgeons I tell ya. Wish they would have attacked the shifting problem straight away and not waited until the end.

They tried to adjust the shifting mechanism itself to "tighten" things up. Same problem. They then opened the bike up and installed a new clutch spring. Same problem. They opened her up again and saw that the shifting rod was bent. Say what?!?!?

This is a new bike and I take it easy during break in periods. No wheelied or burnouts, just very average normal riding in this early period.

Long story short my bike is going to be in the shop for another 10 business days while warranty part orders are made.

I was planning to ride it from Orange County California to Lake Tahoe this morning. Triumph's build quality is not allowing that to happen.

This is the first British bike I have owned. I have owned Yamaha R1's, FJR1300's, Honda 919's, Suzuki GSXR1000 and Hayabusa's. All of these bike have run like swiss watches and I rode all of those bikes HARD.

Any Triumph faithful have some words of encouragement? I need some convincing that Triumph makes a good bike!

Anyone else have shifting issues?!?!?!?

Nicht schon

I have 2 words of encouragement.......

Sell it.

Sell a broken bike? Possibly, however I will pobably take a huge finacial slap in the face for it.

I am considering these scenarios.

1) They work on the bike under warranty and fix it, I ride it forever and the problems are gone. Best case scenario here...

2) They work on it, try to fix it... can't fix it in two earnest attempts and now the great State of Calfornia has special little forms to fill out that covers this bike under "Lemon Law." I trade the bike for a new one with the dealer. Not the best scenario, but fine. (as long as I get another black one)

As a new owner of this bike I am already behind the eightball. Not the best introduction to the world of British build quality.

(2) word response to your (2) words of encouragement : Not yet.

Thanks.

919 rider

Hang in there..If they get It right It will be better than new. It seems that most the problems owners have had are caused by human error at assembly.Mine Is one of the first 200 into the states and I have had absolutely no problems..not even the idle problem or poping with aftermarket exhuast..Most dealers service sucks.But If you get a good one they seem to fix most problems successfully..Good luck Crazy Jack

I had a BMW K1200LTE that I returned 3 time to the dealer in 1200 miles for a clutch that slipped. the third time they gave me a new bike, covered all the title and sales tax on the exchange, a free 1000 mile check up on the new bike, and threw in a $300.00 pair of boots. I was as upset as you are. But in the end I felt I was treated very well. I have a great deal of respect for the dealer and would highly recomend them to any one. When I tell the story now, it is always to praise the dealer not to bad mouth BMW. BMW much like Triumph, doesn't have a dealer in every town. (unlike Hardley Dangerous that rely on a dealer every 20 miles to insure a return trip the same day:D ) Most uf us don't have a big choice where we shop... I would hate not having my rocket for an extended time, But you do have to give your dealer a chance to make it right. I have purchased 5 new bikes and 2 used one's. Only one new one and the two used were delivered without problems up front (1500 Suzuki Intruder was flawless in 18,000 miles) all the rest had major issues.
(Gee maybe I should stick to used bikes) My R3 had a bad solder joint in the filler neck. It pee'd down the side of the bike for the first 400 miles(Kinda sounds like Spike..... :eek: Gad....:eek: :eek: I should check the Pedigree for bad genes) , and 3 trips to fix it

I think Triumph's build quality is on par for what is considered a very small motorcycle company. Their engineering is world class. Look at the 675 or the Rocket's 10,000 oil change interval.

Back