Triumph GT windscreen on the R, worth it or buffeting?

For those interested, after more experimenting on the extended powerbronze screen I have the workable results for me.
Now that I reinstalled the new screen with the spacers CORRECTLY, I like the larger screen fully extended tilted toward me rather than tilted outward. Outward screen is taller, but slight buffeting as wind hits top of helmet. Hate that sound. Tilted toward me wind hits helmet lower but smooth air, no buffeting. At 85 mph could feel neck muscles working. Figured normal, they will get stronger over time. Then I put chin down and presto, relaxed muscles. Either way really nice. With screen lowered too much work, although I am sure I could adapt.

Interesting. I enjoyed that. One question: how did you hear your phone, gps clearly with ear plugs? I gave up blue tooth for a more quiet ride, using wired ear buds for music.
I use motorcycling-specific earplugs. They still allow sound through but filter out the white noise (wind) and exhaust rumble using tiny cleverly engineered ceramic pipes. I used NoNoise earplugs for years - they sell earplugs for various markets; orange for biking. But they tend to work their way out of my ears slowly, and I must regularly reset them, especially when they get older - a total PITA. It might only be my ears, though, as these things tend to go. I have been using Alpine earplugs for a couple of years now, and I am pleased with them. They come with a little gadget to insert and set the earplugs in your ears. It is a bit more effort, but they stay put, and it is all neatly arranged in a little zipper-case.

I use a Schubert C3 modular (flip-up) full-face helmet most of the time, with integrated Schubert Bluetooth communication. I can use my phone, hear GPS directions, chat to the wife (when we ride together) and still hear automotive horns while wearing the earplugs. Also, to listen to music, but that's not my thing generally when biking.

I have been riding motorcycles for almost fifty years now. I almost exclusively spent the first twenty on nakeds. That was all we had. The only exceptions were fibreglass 'fairings' grafted onto select models with homemade brackets to resemble something cool eyeballed in a magazine. Those mostly failed; simply cracking apart, rattling incessantly or featuring bits flopping in the wind. All of them eventually landed in the bin. They generally looked pretty from the front, acceptable from the side and cr4p from the rider's end.

I actually bought a couple with mini OEM fairings and superbikes with full fairings during the next twenty years. Aftermarket fairings had also improved and offered mini-dashes with spots to mount gauges and switches. Those fairing did not stay on long either, as I would soon chop the bikes back to nakeds or streetfighters. By then, I had realised that if the rider-triangle is set up properly, I could ride nakeds day-in, day-out. Perhaps all the previous years, doing just that, had seen my neck and arm muscles adapt to suit—also hips, knees and ankles.

Back to the rider-triangle. The balls of my feet need to be right below or just behind my 4ss—seat position, close to the gas tank (centre of gravity). Handles; straight, drag or with a slight rise so that the wind at 140 kph (85 mph) puts a cushion of air under my chest and takes the load off my arms. Earplugs and a quality full-face helmet. Very little noise, zero buffeting, and I can hear the phone and GPS clearly on Bluetooth.

The last ten years have seen me acquire some feet-forward rides and bikes with larger, taller farings and shields - mostly to ensure that my wife keeps on riding with me regularly. I must have gone through ten shields on my 1190 Adventure before finding two that work for different applications. Two on the Goldwing, two on the Indian Vintage and three (as well as other pieces) on the Cross Country. And each of those ended up only being the best compromise, nothing close to two-thumbs-up.

When I ride alone, though, it will be on a naked. A naked with a shield is 'a naked with a shield'. My only beef with the R now is the mid-controls. I hope to see some aftermarket improvements in that department soon. I had the same issue with my VMAX till Sato Racing brought out their rear-sets. But that is me.
And there is another thing about windshields and fairings that I have never been able to make my peace with - heat entrapped behind the fairing in summer, especially when getting caught in bumper-to-bumper traffic. We lane-split in SA, I know, but we cannot always do that when sporting large fairings and saddlebags. I can remove the windshield on my Indian, but not the fairing on the 1190, the Goldwing and the Cross Country. And on the superbikes, especially V-twins like Ducati and EBR, coolant temperatures will keep on rising.

Not an issue, I appreciate, on bikes fitted with flyscreens and bikini fairings.

I use motorcycling-specific earplugs. They still allow sound through but filter out the white noise (wind) and exhaust rumble using tiny cleverly engineered ceramic pipes. I used NoNoise earplugs for years - they sell earplugs for various markets; orange for biking. But they tend to work their way out of my ears slowly, and I must regularly reset them, especially when they get older - a total PITA. It might only be my ears, though, as these things tend to go. I have been using Alpine earplugs for a couple of years now, and I am pleased with them. They come with a little gadget to insert and set the earplugs in your ears. It is a bit more effort, but they stay put, and it is all neatly arranged in a little zipper-case.

I use a Schubert C3 modular (flip-up) full-face helmet most of the time, with integrated Schubert Bluetooth communication. I can use my phone, hear GPS directions, chat to the wife (when we ride together) and still hear automotive horns while wearing the earplugs. Also, to listen to music, but that's not my thing generally when biking.
I use the exact same one. They have the red ones (20 DB reduction), and the black 17 DB. They're excellent.

I've used the no noise. For me music was so much softer at full volume.
Sticking with wired ear buds. Better sound. One ways out the importance of different factors. Phone,gps not that important through helmet. Have garmin if I need it. Thanks man.

Back