Trip to Baxters in Iowa

Molinoman

Living Legend
Ride
2017 Polaris Slingshot
Started out this morning with a full tank of gas, considering all the tools I am carrying (just want to be able to help out any stranded bikers) and my "excess" weight I am still getting between 39 to 40 mpg doing 70+ mph.
The bike is running great, sounds awesome with the Hogslayers, traveling with ear plugs but can still hear a nice throaty roar when I accelerate.
Speedo appears to be off a little according to my Zumo 665 GPS. When I am doing 75 on the speedo I am really only doing about 71-72 on the GPS...should keep the tickets down. The Kaoko throttle lock is not exactly a long distance cruise control unless you get it set just right...but it does give the right hand a much needed break on occasion when I engage it.
Stopped in Birmingham, AL to spend some time with a friend of mine who drove up earlier today for some cancer pre-screening and now pre-operative prep...surgery on Sept. 8th...he's in good spirits and prognosis is positive.
Left Birmingham before rush hour and arrived in Florence, AL to visit with my son, Dan, who is trying to make a go of it up here...had dinner at The Outback with him.
Starting off early tomorrow after I adjust my highway pegs and repack my bags a little differently.
My butt is sore, the LD underwear, so far, is not making a believer out of me yet...may take some time. And the "long haul" seat...hopefully it will break in a little better as the trip goes on or maybe my rear end is letting me know it has been a long time since my 855 mile in one day extravaganza back in 2008...and to not expect any miracles down there till it gets broken in again from all this riding.
Dennis

No matter how good your seat is, your butt needs some free circulation on a regular basis.

If you have a backrest, use it and your quad muscles to get the weight off your butt at least once every 20-30 minutes for a minute.....don't wait till it hurts.

If no backrest with forward positioned pegs it can be hard but find a (safe) way.

Brian...I am holed up at the Super 8 in Bolivar, Missouri on Hwy 65 going north...should be passing thru Kansas City sometime in the morning...hopefully before 10 am.

Rear is still sore but sheer determination is getting this ride done. One of my "luggage" containers is interfering with the proper operation of my back rest some...I may just mail it back home and just keep the bare essentials in my roll bag.

I will just keep stopping about every hour or so for a few minutes and walk around the bike a few times then jump back on...seems to help. If you see my bike at the hotel...wait till I call you as I will be soaking in a hot tub (or at least hot water in the tub) for a good hour before I'll be ready to "socialize":D.

Dennis

I will be leaving within the hour but don't think I will be up in that area by that time (6:30 am here).

I'll just meet you there.

Dennis

To those following this thread, I arrived in Atlantic, Iowa around 2:10 pm, checked into the hotel, hot bath, hot/cold shower, clean clothes and felt ready enough to go on out to Baxters.

Arrived at Baxters, but no Tom or Brian...they went back into Atlantic to pick up something...they finally arrived back at the store and finally got to meet them.

Baxters is an incredible place...Brian and Tom gave me the guided tour (they are regular visitors here) and I was very impressed with all that was "hidden away".

We then raced on out to "The Danish Inn/Restuarant" and had a great buffet dinner with about 50 or so other riders that tried to follow us from Baxters...only three others could keep up...I was third during this "chase" but we were held up by a truck going the same direction...but they knew the way so I just followed.

Weather was starting to take a turn for the worse so we headed back at the hotel at a similar speed...luckily the weather held off (and still is) and there was not a repeat of the "violent" weather that occurred the night before...did see a lot of the evidence on my ride up from Bolivar, MO of the damage that was done...a lot of folks in the middle of nowhere without power and "crushed" crops.

Tomorrow...more eating out and signing up for some demo rides as the Triumph truck is HERE!!!

Dennis

Happy that you are doing well you might stop by Walmart and pick up one of those beaded seat covers you can cut them to fit your seat and it will help give you some relief they do not look comfortable but they seem to work love the updates like I'm traveling along with you watch for the other nuts be safe.

Left Atlantic, Iowa at around 7:30 am after saying good bye to Brian (Pig9R) and Tom (ToystoreTom).

Felt like kind of a wimp today only did 598 miles and ended up in Paris, TX for the night. I'll do the last two hours to Troup, TX tomorrow to see what's up with the (maybe) new Stallion for 2012 (doing some investigative work for the Trike Talks Forum).

I was thinking of doing this on next month's trip...but since there may be a 50/50 chance that I may not make it to The HUB (may be employed sooner than I thought) I figured I may as well fit this in before I return home tomorrow.

Generally I have been getting 40 to 44 mpg with the "heavily" loaded down T-bird but was surprised today when I ran out of gas shortly after crossing over the TX border on the way to Paris. Luckily I was able to coast slightly downhill to an open Exxon station so I didn't have to push it any.

For you TX riders...what is with the 70 mph during the day and only 65 at night...what a wimpy set of speed guidelines...I expected better from Texas.

A note to any of you Thunderbird riders (especially the 1700 models ones) you can generally expect to get about 220 miles out of your tank of gas during normal driving. But if you are doing any traveling on the 75 mph highways....expect less...I was at 208 when I ran out...I thought I would easily be able to reach Paris as it was only about 12 to 13 miles away...I was wrong.

Hope everyone had a great weekend...especially for all those who were with us at Baxters.

One last note...I hate the toll roads of Oklahoma...they should not exist:(!

Dennis

Back