Treating years of yuck in the tank

How bad is the rust? Sitting that long, it may be bad enough to have ruined the tank. (leaks) If it cleans up good, using any of the above suggestions, you may consider NOT using a sealer at all. I mean after all, a brand new tank, is bare metal on the inside, right?

I would agree...if the rust cleans up good, the tank sealer can be a pain. If it cleans up good with the above cleaners and you're happy with it, I'd go that route. Clean and see what it looks like. The good thing about most of the sealers/liners is that they will seal small holes, especially small pin hole leaks. All comes down to a judgement call and what you're prepared to deal/live with.

Mmmmnn ;)🤔:whitstling::whitstling:
A what doesn't kill you makes you stronger theory?
Hydrochloric Acid 9.5%

Reacts with household chemicals such as bleach based toilet bowl
cleaners, rust removers, vinegar, acids or ammonia containing products to
produce chlorine containing hazardous gases.

How bad is the rust? Sitting that long, it may be bad enough to have ruined the tank. (leaks) If it cleans up good, using any of the above suggestions, you may consider NOT using a sealer at all. I mean after all, a brand new tank, is bare metal on the inside, right?
Ishrub & Tripp ~ absolutely right on! Chemicals containing HCl need to be handled with caution and LOTS of ventilation. I appreciate the warning esp. since I already have a breathing disorder. This isn't going to be an easy overnight fix but it shouldn't have to kill me to get it right LOL.

Stillserving ~ I just went online to scope out the POR tank treatment kit you've mentioned. Looks like what I need! For anyone interested in learning more about treating a rusty tank like mine, here's another approach in removing the rust using electrolysis:

You didn't mention the color but in 05 there was ony 3 Jet Black, Cradinal Red, and grey/silverish :) get another one the bike has sat long enough bud. I'd look at pinwall cycle parts for a complete throttle body. Usually they come with the fuel rail and injectors. You can swap the whole rail or throttle boddies for that matter I've seen them for 250 bucks . Unless your looking to tinker slowly. While exchanging the tank you can slap a walbro 342 fuel pump and new filter new battery. And since its been sitting so long I'd atleast fill the main bearing ladder galley with oil to help the system prime. Again because its been sitting a while. Anyway I think that would be you fastest way and the least pain in the arse :)

cootertwo ~ The rust is really bad in my R3 tank. I plan to document the process of treating it, including photos. I think I will use a combination of treatments including your suggestion of adding hardware in the initial solution to loosen-up the flaky rust, try using electrolysis followed by power washing, then treating the metal with the sealer. Of course, all of this is contingent upon the tank's integrity; if the rust has eaten through the metal I will have to replace it. I hope the tank is sound enough to salvage :)

You didn't mention the color but in 05 there was ony 3 Jet Black, Cradinal Red, and grey/silverish :) get another one the bike has sat long enough bud. I'd look at pinwall cycle parts for a complete throttle body. Usually they come with the fuel rail and injectors. You can swap the whole rail or throttle boddies for that matter I've seen them for 250 bucks . Unless your looking to tinker slowly. While exchanging the tank you can slap a walbro 342 fuel pump and new filter new battery. And since its been sitting so long I'd atleast fill the main bearing ladder galley with oil to help the system prime. Again because its been sitting a while. Anyway I think that would be you fastest way and the least pain in the arse :)
warp9.9 ~ Thanks, warp9.9! Good info re the walbro 342 fuel pump et al. How do I fill the main bearing ladder gallery w/oil? It sounds like a great idea; I'm not sure how to do it. BTW, the tank color is that '05 black :)

My shop did Pors on a BMW tank for me, 6 or 7 years later it's peeling off in sheets, fwiw
Tripps ~ Oh nice! Sorry to hear it. Honestly, if I get at least 5 yrs of use after treatment I'd be okay with it. At my age I don't know how long I'll still be strong enough to hold a 700+ lb two-wheeler up! Time for a sidecar or a trike conversion maybe by then?

Tripps ~ Oh nice! Sorry to hear it. Honestly, if I get at least 5 yrs of use after treatment I'd be okay with it. At my age I don't know how long I'll still be strong enough to hold a 700+ lb two-wheeler up! Time for a sidecar or a trike conversion maybe by then?
Unfortunately it is my side car rig, lol. Apparently acetone removes the Pors. My buddy is an ace mechanic in some ways, but often careless, I suspect he didn't preclean the tank well. I also have an extra tank, but with a dent and wrong color.

warp9.9 ~ Thanks, warp9.9! Good info re the walbro 342 fuel pump et al. How do I fill the main bearing ladder gallery w/oil? It sounds like a great idea; I'm not sure how to do it. BTW, the tank color is that '05 black :)
Its fairly simple. Raise front up peg rails on jack stands. Take the filter off and there is the hole to add oil to flexible hose, a funnel you in like Flynn. Also fill the filter up about half way or so before you spin it back on. Some people just fill the filter up and spin it on quickly.

Last edited:
Back