Transmission Woes

They do not use Triumph circlips. They say that there junk.
I've been checking in on your thread and others, so that's what raised my concern lol. Thanks for the tip, I'll call them as soon as I get a chance.

Meanwhile, I think I feel a street triple or mt-09 calling my name... just lost the ball and chain, which means I can have as many bikes as I want 😂

Well, you know. Money permitting.

What's weird is that I can' t replicate the issues I was having earlier. I put the output shaft on it and if I gently roll it, I can shift up and down from 1st-5th and 5th-1st just fine.

There's also no significant visible wear on any of the gears or dog rings.

Could this have been a fluke caused by a weak return spring? (and the known flaws of the early trans?)

Well, the bike is finally back together as of today. Rode it around the block - all was well, except for the neutral light being on while in second and third.

Got back and parked it - the next time I went to start it, the throttle response was awful. Very delayed. Neutral light is acting completely wonky - not on while in neutral, sometimes coming on at other times. There's even a check engine light.

Could my gear position sensor be installed incorrectly?

The gear position sensor signals the ECM what gear the bike is in. The ECM then provides the proper engine tune for that gear. If it's sensing neutral when in gear... that can't be good. I've never had mine out but that would be the first place I would check for problems.

Yeah, I imagine that's why it was running poorly. Using the wrong mapping for the gear it's actually in.

There's not another 3-pin connector I could have confused it with behind this panel, right? I remember there being a few 3-pins, but it does have a little more slack than I would expect it to have.
Being that it took me so long to get back to this project, figuring out all of the electrical connectors again took some time.

Edit: after tracing the line, I realized it's the 2-pin connector. Doesn't look like I could confuse it with anything else and the connection is tight. Going to take the sensor off and look at it, I suppose, since it's somewhat easily accessible.

Last edited:
Okay, so the gear position indicator shaft is not turning when I shift gears. I could have sworn it was functioning before I put the engine back in the frame.

I rotated the shaft until it 'slotted in' and put the small nib back in it, then bolted the sensor back on. About to take it for a spin to see if that fixed the issue.

Last edited:
Also worth noting that the engine had been torn apart by the previous owner - I think I got stuck between 3rd and 4th because the dowel that retains the bearing in the main transmission shaft was misaligned, and the cases weren't fully mated. Which misaligned the selector forks just enough to get me stuck in between gears. That's my theory, anyway.

Looked like the engine was torn apart because he laid the bike down and broke the kickstand off the case. They pulled the lower case and did some shoddy weld repair.

Last edited:
Back