Transmission Woes

Does anything look amiss here? Every time I open it, it's not 'in position' and changing gears doesn't move it until I rotate it into the proper position.
PXL_20220510_171814472.jpg

Sounds like either the little dowel that connects this gear position shaft (5) to the selector drum (4), or the spring and/or pin (6, 7) is missing/broken/not working.
When the selector drum is rotated, the gear position shaft rotates with it, and via pin (7) it touches various spots on the gear position sensor (GPS).
On 08/10 and newer Rocket IIIs the GPS has the pin built in so no need for the pin and spring.
1652206292262.png

This is how the gear position shaft rotates;

Yep. I've got the little cap/dowel but no spring. Gonna see if I can find an appropriate spring locally while I wait on the proper one to ship.

If anyone knows the dimensions of the spring, that would help a ton.

i think that before i would pull that motor back a part i would put a two way switch in the wiring one way for neutral the other for third (resister)

Hardware store to the rescue. I think I need to trim it.

Attachments

• PXL_20220510_201242779.jpg
    PXL_20220510_201242779.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 6
After taking it for a spin and filling up the tank, the only thing wrong now is the broken speedo. I've been using a phone mount and a speedo app for now.

I've seen a few of the threads about aftermarket gauges, and I think I'm just gonna let a shop deal with it. One full tear down and rebuild is more than enough work for me.

Now to clean all the dirt and grease off of her! :p

Back