Transmission Woes

Oh, I just realized it rests between the two cases 🤣
Yeah,.The cam timing chain goes between the cams in the cylinder head and the crank in the top crank case. As said I realised too that the bottom case can be separated without removing the cam chain. I used a dead blow hammer / rubber mallet to encourage the cases apart. The cases are real soft so don't go jabbing no screwdriver between em like I did with my sump and had to get welder to fill a gash I made in the flange. (fnar fnar)

So I got the cases split apart. It seems something in either the shift drum or shift star/shaft assembly is binding in the travel. Even without the output shaft installed.

Based off this image it's that thin one coming off the throttle body harness, right?

1617722625454.png
Yes

So I got the cases split apart. It seems something in either the shift drum or shift star/shaft assembly is binding in the travel. Even without the output shaft installed.
Pictures, close ups with some light

Attachments

• 26E12BBD-ED43-4A9A-A582-170E94AD41CC.jpeg
    26E12BBD-ED43-4A9A-A582-170E94AD41CC.jpeg
    220.2 KB · Views: 28
  • DF49091A-7650-4EA6-9CC7-9D8563C17AB3.jpeg
    DF49091A-7650-4EA6-9CC7-9D8563C17AB3.jpeg
    159.2 KB · Views: 28
  • A3D0E5E4-7CB6-438D-B05A-F01557922A58.jpeg
    A3D0E5E4-7CB6-438D-B05A-F01557922A58.jpeg
    169.8 KB · Views: 28
I wonder what your shift forks look like when you pull the input shaft and shift drum/shaft. One of mine was slightly bent and very worn

I don't see anything obviously wrong. After fiddling with the bits and uninstalling & reinstalling the selector forks, I realized the arm that turns the shift star had not come back in. I think the return spring might be weak (not the detent spring, the one that brings the arm back up when turning the star)

Considering just sending it all off to Robinson.

Last edited:
I don't see anything obviously wrong. After fiddling with the bits and uninstalling & reinstalling the selector forks, I realized the arm that turns the shift star had not come back in. I think the return spring might be weak (not the detent spring, the one that brings the arm back up when turning the star)

Considering just sending it all off to Robinson.
Good luck. I spent two weeks calling and Emailing. Gave up and sent a letter hand wrote. Never got a response. M/T performance can do the same at half the cost. Very good folks and they know how to answer a phone. Plus they know a thing or to about our transmissions.

Good luck. I spent two weeks calling and Emailing. Gave up and sent a letter hand wrote. Never got a response. M/T performance can do the same at half the cost. Very good folks and they know how to answer a phone. Plus they know a thing or to about our transmissions.
Sounds great. Do I need to send them new circlips and the like with the trans?

Back